Whats better with RM6700, psw 350 OR psw 303?

Options
Zeus13
Zeus13 Posts: 5
Just wondering if I should keep my PSW350 or if I should upgrade to 303 or 404 with my 6700 system.
Post edited by Zeus13 on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I've read plenty of reviews that have said that the 350 goes perfectly well with the 6700's. Polk has the 303 as the "standard" matched sub for the 6700's. I had a medium sized room so I upped the anti to the 404 and am fairly pleased with the blending between the sat and sub. Since Polk has a $200 rebate on speakers > $499, why not use the credit to get another 350 and stack them as Dr. Spec has suggested to get even more bang for the buck. Seems like a waste not using that $200 for something. At worst, pick up the PSW202 for "free".
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    forget the 350, get the new 303 or 404 with the new full coverage grill, rear port, and nice finish and oh that great woofer surround... I love my 404, don't let these svs and diy woofer guys stear ya wrong, LOL kidding... for the money they match well and look great, who cares if they don't hit 16hz the human ear can't even hear some bass that low.. LOL ok what ever you want, and i suggest against the stacking, maybe sound good but will look ugly.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    don't let these svs and diy woofer guys stear ya wrong, who cares if they don't hit 16hz the human ear can't even hear some bass that low..and i suggest against the stacking, maybe sound good but will look ugly.

And to think I spent 15 minutes of my life answering your question about PCi vs. PC+ over in the Speakers group. Geez...ya sucked me into that one. :rolleyes:

Also, I can attest that two stacked identical subs looks WAY cool. My PSW350s were stacked and I loved the look - intimidating - tall with the double grills showing - looks like a custom DIY subs like the dual Stryke unit.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    ...who cares if they don't hit 16hz the human ear can't even hear some bass that low

Bass that low isn't meant to be heard.....it's meant to be felt. Nothing cooler than hearing a bomb in a movie go off and getting kicked in the a$$ by a good subwoofer.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX

Bass that low isn't meant to be heard.....it's meant to be felt. Nothing cooler than hearing a bomb in a movie go off and getting kicked in the a$$ by a good subwoofer.

Play LOTR-FOTR on a sub rated to 35 Hz and play it again on a sub rated to 16 Hz and you be the judge. Phew - lotta subsonic stuff in that movie! :)

SVS
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec, whio make subs that are rated for 16 hz at -3 dB, and how much do they cost? Thanks.
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    gez geez geez!!!!!!!!!!! I was kidding!!!!!!!!! I want a svs my silly friends, I was just kidding, hence the LOL
    Give me a break.. OK
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shiu
    Dr. Spec, whio make subs that are rated for 16 hz at -3 dB, and how much do they cost? Thanks.

SVS, HSU, Bag End, Paradigm, Velodyne, VMPS, and D.I.Y.

Prices are all over the board. Is this academic, or are you interested in a sub?

In my HT room, my SVS is -3 dB at 17 Hz with all three ports open. With one port plugged, it is flat to 11 Hz, at which point the subsonic filter (which was set to 12 Hz for the test) killed the FR. I honestly think it would have gone even lower - it was showing no signs of roll-off at 11 Hz.

There is an even larger SVS (the 16-46) that is tuned even lower. It is -3 dB at about 13 Hz with all three ports open.

Faster100 - it's cool - thanks for the explanation.

:)

SVS
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    alot of people tell off color jokes,(not you spec) and say smart @ssed comments to post and what not, I however aren't one of those people, on purpose anyways...I'f i ask a question about a item its more then likely because i want it and thats about all. far as the subs above comments, The general idea around here seems if its cost $xxxx then the one that cost alittle more is best/better... well sometimes everyone can't get the **** higher priced unit and so more people should offer the option of the cheaper item first, But say of course this would be optimal if you paid more. I really would like an SVS sub but the cost 899.00 apposed to the pci which cost 549.00 its not worth paying that much more to me, The psw404 is nice and go's low enough for my say 10 x 12x 8 room, so inlight i was saying what no one hardly here says and reccomended the cheaper option in pure fun, I'f your not a real regular this gets caught real fast when you try and be funny ... No hard feelings though i understand why you would take offense
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I would go with the PSW404 - it's very nice. The $200 off promotion is over now though. :(
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You are a mind reader too! It is academic, because I just bought a 404 and I love it. But seriously, years ago I was very much into hi-fi. I just got back in before Christmas, attracted by this H.T. thing after I bought a 36" Sony XBR HDTV and the promotion deal by Polk. 10 years ago, there wasn't much talk about woofers that could reproduce 20 hz at -3 dB, let alone being flat!! In fact, even now, I am not aware any Polk sub that could do 20 hz. Thanks for the education. Now I know I have a lot to catch up.
  • inspire
    inspire Posts: 21
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Go 4 the PSW404. Man this thing can SHAKE.dispite the size.... and the price is Very reasonable. didn't hear distortion so far. Let your ear be the judge. CC store has plenty of them..
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    Silicon Image IscanUltra Pro
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Ascent i main
    Martin Logan Theater i center
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk RT 800 for side surrounds
    Polk FX300 for Rears