bad driver on ls 50?

Options
ken brydson
ken brydson Posts: 8,648
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of LS 50's that I got in 1996. They've always sounded great but recently one of them has developed some distortion and a "buzzy" sound. I thought it might be my amp or speaker wires but after some fiddling isolated one of the drivers that was making the sound. I popped it out and disconnected the wires and the speaker sounds good again. Could it be something else other than the driver itself like internal wiring or crossovers or?? I don't want to spend the $$ to repace the driver and have it be something else.
Post edited by ken brydson on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm not clear about something, did you disconnect the driver in question and then everything else sounded ok or did you disconnect it and then re-connect it which resulted in that driver playing ok again?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I left it disconnected. The remaining speakers sound good now because the distortion was coming from the one I had disconnected. I ordered a new one today. The CS guy I talked to was fairly sure it was the driver.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok, it sounds like a bad voice coil. You could swap the questionable driver with a known good one and if it still sounds like crap, then you have a bad driver. Let us know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Will do. They're shipping it Monday so I should have it by Wed