LARGE or small?

dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I am talking about spk settings on receiver for movies, I cant make up my mine which sounds better. I have rti150s main,cs400 center & 4 fxi50 for surrounds. Thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Conventional thought is to set speakers to small (if you have a sub - Do you?) and let the sub handle to low stuff. I however have set mine to large even with a sub because it sounds better to me. Only you can make that determination.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    RTi150's? LARGE, period. If you set them to small, you might as well take them back and get the 38's and some stands.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited January 2003
    If you do not have a sub, I would try the fronts as large, the remaining speakers as small. The 150's should be able to handle the lows. What kind of amp are you using?
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited January 2003
    I am using a Denon avs4800 for surround sound with a Onkyo m-504 for rti150 and 2 Yamaha 200watt subs. I was having trouble deciding which sounds better, large or small. Maybe I wanted to know which is the correct setting.
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited January 2003
    You have plenty of power for the 150's.

I think most on this forum would agree with the statement - there is no correct way, it is what sounds best to you. My suggestion is just to spend a little time trying different settings and what sounds best to you will be the correct way to configure you setup. Good luck.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    -deletted-
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC