Anyone have an opinion on the S10?

Options
agfrost
agfrost Posts: 2,421
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I'm in the market for a set of used Polks, and someone local has a set of S10's. There doesn't seem to be any discussion of the S-series on the board here (search yields nada), does this mean that they aren't highly regarded?

I'm curious to hear if anyone has any experience/opinion on these speakers.

Thanks,

Jay
Jay
SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
Post edited by agfrost on

Comments

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Hey Jay,

Do you have a URL or a picture?, I can't find a Polk S10 speaker anyplace.

Las

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46634

Here you go.

JT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Jay, decent drivers but probably the worst cabinets Polk has ever made / used. Very flimsy and thin, they resonate like no tomorrow.

The 'S' line was Polk's first stab at a budget lineup. S, RT, then LS (at the time).
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Options
    S10's aren't bad, but if it was me I'd look for one with four wheel drive, and an extended cab.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Options
    S10's aren't bad, but if it was me I'd look for one with four wheel drive, and an extended cab.

I'd get the upgraded S10, the ZR2.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I think the "S" series also used those horrid plastic push type speaker connectors on the back.. yeah that ones that break off pretty easily. The kind you can't use anything larger than 18 guage wires

there aren't many people that I know that have any "S" series speakers.. unless they're in the closet about it. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, all. Really, the S10 was more just a curiosity to me, as I haven't seen much (any) talk of it around these forums.

There are a couple of auctions on ebay (one closing, one closed) with pics if anyone would like to see them in color. If you're really curious about them, and live in Chicagoland area, there's a pair for $90 on CL: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/321649314.html

Las, I'm kind of at the beginning of my descent into audio upgrade-itis. SDA's may be in my future, but aren't in the cards for now!

Dude--If I can find a pair with a Rhinoliner as well as the extended cab and 4x4, I'm going to jump all over them. :D

Anyhoo, sounds about like I suspected--not a particularly loved specimen of Polks.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I had a pair of S6's. The sound was ok. By far the worst quality polk put out. As said before spring type push connectors, thin cabinets and so-so sound.

Jockos