CRS+ riddle

Options
NeilGabriel
NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
edited April 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I must be too much of a traditionalist. I am having trouble getting use to the sound from these. Might have to get another pair of 7s instead. But here is the riddle (to me). I turned the speakers off from the amp and they continued to play at low volume. I thought it was the amp and that the speaker switch didn't work right. But it worked fine with other speakers. I assume this has something to do with the cancellation thingamabob.
Post edited by NeilGabriel on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2007
    Options
    what are you using to power them?

the SDA circuit works on the neg terminals, your amp is lifting the pos. oly, so you are hearing the SDA only circuit
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • NeilGabriel
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I just figured that out as I was rehiring some things. I also moved them another 18 inches apart to be more equal my sitting distance and it really helped. I am in a basement rec room, about 20 x 40 with this etched concrete floor...patience, Neil....thanks hoosier...next time I'll grab a beer before I post...
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    Options
    wow thats a little speaker for that room.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I turned the speakers off from the amp and they continued to play at low volume.

If you still had a source playing and turned off your amp or AVR then it's not unusual to hear the sound fade as the circuits shut down and the caps discharge, it's got nothing to do with the SDA speakers other than they are probably more revealing than what you've had before. Why are you turning off your amp or AVR with a source still playing in the first place???

SDA speakers are not like others speakers and proper set up is critical. I take it you don't have an owners manual, so get one as it will explain proper set up. Call Polk and ask for one, they'll send it for free.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Options
    You can also view or print the manual here SDA 1C 2B CRS+
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited April 2007
    Options
    SDA speakers are not like others speakers and proper set up is critical. I take it you don't have an owners manual, so get one as it will explain proper set up. Call Polk and ask for one, they'll send it for free. F1nut

Well put.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • NeilGabriel
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I have the manual and went through the process--mostly. I didn't do that sending a mono sound through to make sure they are in phase. It is a matter of me being patient enough to get the right set up. And, as pointed out, this is not a good room for them, (actually more like 15 x 30)...it is a temporary placement until I move the system to another room in the house or pass them on to someone who can use them. I liked Hoosier's explanation. I turned the speaker off because I was disconnecting it and hooking up another speaker. That is when I noticed that it continued to play and would have kept on playing. With the newly connected speaker (5s), no sound at all. Just as it (CRS) will play with only one speaker wire connected, unlike other speakers. That's my story. Thanks for the help again.