reducing localization of bass from sub

Options
My sony 50 watt sub with an 8-inch cone is currently behind a chair that is next to the right side wall in my HT room near the front. I can't put it next to my front speakers because of lack of space. Yesterday I was watching "****" with vin diesel, a movie with lots of bass, and noticed that I could very easily tell where the bass was coming from. (Also, it sounded like the sub was having a heart attack, but that was probably from cranking it up too much. In the future I think I may get a larger sub, because I originally purchased it for my much smaller bedroom, where it worked just fine. ) Anyways, does anyone have any ideas on how to make the location of the sub less obvious? Thanks for your help.
Post edited by ronaldo141 on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    turn down the gain or move it farther away from your seating poshon. if you want a beter sub on the cheap i have a velo for sale great sub at a great price
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Going Gonzo
    if you want a beter sub on the cheap i have a velo for sale great sub at a great price

What size, power, model. May be interested.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Never mind Gonzo. I found it in the flea market forum. A 12 is just too big for me (that's what she said):p
    A like a firm low end, I have an 8" now, and flip flop all the time on going to a 10", but the 12 would be too much for me. Good luck.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ronaldo, 50watt 8incher that is mostly your problem. Doesnt drive loud or deep enough. That is what you are strugling with.
    Best advice is to put it in the nearest corner to the TV. You will get more bass and less localization. Also lower the freq. if possable.
    but the 12 would be too much for me.
    Sorry about that Zen, give it some time. Once u have one u don't have to use it all the way - just a little at a time until you get used to it.;)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    too funny scootv too funny lol
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Agree with Scott - crossover frequency is probably too high.

Also, if the sub sounds like it is "having a heart attack", it is most likely producing vast amounts of 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion, which is easily heard and localized because it occurs at multiples of the source material frequencies.

BTW, there is nothing inherently slow or overly powerful about a 12" driver in a sub. Properly calibrated, it will blend seamlessly into your system, dig much deeper, play with much less distortion, and will not be easily localized. I highly recommend you strongly consider Ganzo's offer on his Velo.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ronaldo141
    ronaldo141 Posts: 41
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks for your help guys. I will tinker with the sub a bit more this weekend and come back if the problem doesn't go away.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Agreed with above, 18" properly calibrated would not be too much. Turn the xover down on the sub, set your mains to large (if they can do it), and place the sub between your mains.

With those corrections, the sub should blend *better*, disappear a little more, if you will (assuming the sub isn't being over-driven).

Cheers,
    Rooster

Ps, what ARE you running for the rest of your rig?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ronaldo141
    ronaldo141 Posts: 41
    edited January 2003
    Options
    my ring includes: Fronts: Wharfedale emerald 97s, Center: Polk CS 40, Surrounds: Wharfedale diamond 7, Denon AVR 1803, Panasonic 47 inch widescreen. In other rooms there are: a pair of Monitor 7s, Monitor 10s, Snell K-IIIs, and RTi 28. Originally the RTi's were my surrounds but then I moved them to the dining room. And I know that it's important for the front soundstage to be timber-matched, but it sounds fine to me so far, so I'm not going to bother with it.