Center channel pops & cracks

Options
dkuklenz
dkuklenz Posts: 1
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
Help!! I received the CSi30 center channel speaker for Christmas (my first center and my first Polk speaker), and about the first thing I hear out of it is popping and cracking noises.

I have never had a problem with the front speakers doing this. I swapped the center with the right front speaker and the cracking didn't follow the speaker- it stayed with whatever speaker was hooked to the center wire. The popping noises may or may not go away but I usually can't wait long enough to find out because I am sure it's not good for the speaker. If I stop the DVD player, the noise continues. If I shut the DVD player off, the noise stops.

I am not a real techie, so if it's beyond having connections right I may be lost. I have unhooked and reconnected everything and the popping & cracking is still there. I have a Sony STR-DE945 receiver and a Sony DVD player. 16 gauge Monster cable is hooked to all 3 speakers.

Any ideas??
DMK5
Post edited by dkuklenz on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    Options
    the receiver , that mite be where the problem is something is swiching off and on in the receiver on the center channel. can you borrow another receiver to check. or run the the center channel speaker wire to the right or the left channel if the right or the left channel pops its in your receiver or dvd player. and at leased run 14 ga wire or bigger.

and welcome to the forum
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    how are you hooking it up to your Sony receiver? Are you using bare wire? Is that bare wire frayed? Is it coming into contact with the metal chassis? Are the neg and pos speaker wires touching each other? Some DVD players also let you select a large or small setting for the center channel speaker. other than that. i've never heard of this happening.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: