Avia vs. Sound & Vision HT Calibration Disks

kberg
kberg Posts: 974
edited January 2003 in Speakers
All,

I have an SPL meter and am debating on which of these two calibration disks I should buy. I've heard a lot of good things about the Avia disc but at $45-50 but it's a bit pricey. I was wondering if any of you have used/compared the Sound & Vision HT product? Since the S&V disc is only about $17-18, can anyone tell me if the Avia disc is really worth it, or at least a better buy overall for whatever reason(s)?

Trying to decide,

Kevin
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited January 2003
    S&V disk has minimal video calibrations compared to Avia however, enough to correct most video problems. The audio section is pretty standard and contains DTS audio calibration.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Don't forget about the Video Essentials Digital version - about $20 and supposedly incredible for the price. The original VE was $45 or so, and it was very well regarded, and this one is supposedly even better. And yes, it has both sound and video calibration.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    Where to purchase?
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Thanks, Doc. I'll keep an eye out for the DVE disk when it hits the market, hopefully sometime soon.
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    I've got the S&V calibration DVD and was thinking of getting the Avia DVD as well. But like you I think $40 - 50 bux is a bit pricey. I settled for the S&V calibration DVD. There are a decent amount of calibration test (and a basic HT walk through for "newer" folks). Also, the S&V calibrations are provided by Ovation Software (which is the maker of the Avia Test CD). My guess is that the more popular tests for the "typical" home theater system was packaged into the S&V DVD allowing Ovation to put their product out for two major markets: the regular joe end user, and the HIFI fanatic with the 8" wide front projection screen and money to burn. Honestly, I'm fairly happy with the way the S&V has helped me calibrate my system to a level that I am now pleased with it.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Lets put it this way... I have the S&V disk, and you can do everything they recommend from outside the TV set. The video calibrations are for the front-panel controls (brightness, etc). Any additional video calibrations are going to be inside.. and I'm not interested in getting in there or paying someone to do it. So, for me, the S&V disk did all it could and I am very happy with it.

Honestly, I think S&V would NOT put out a disk that failed to satisfy the majority of their readers. Given that I'm much more a S&V audiophile rather than a Stereophile audiophile, I was indeed satisfied - and I didn't want to spend more.
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    I've been looking into getting one of these myself but I have a question. Do either or both of these DVD's play frequency tones (100hz - 20hz) so I can setup my sub?

-Jason
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by jltrdavis
    I've been looking into getting one of these myself but I have a question. Do either or both of these DVD's play frequency tones (100hz - 20hz) so I can setup my sub?

The S&V DVD does not have audio frequency test tones. Not sure about the Avia. However, Doc pointed someone to a web page yesterday (Stryke Audio) and they sell a test CD with a slew of bass calibration test tones. See link Below.

http://www.stryke.com/testcd1.htm
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Thanks, That's what I'm looking for.

-Jason
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Avia has a lot of frequency test tones and sweeps. Very helpful, espically for subwoofer set-up. Excellent calibration disk. A bit more than VE, but worth it.

Go to http://www.dvdpricesearch.com and search for the best on-line price.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    There is a freeware site (I'll post it later with an edit - I don't have it now) where I downloaded a 6 meg zipped .mp3 file with 41 1/12-octave, 10-second test tones, from 10-100 Hz that I used to burn a CD and plot my subwoofer FR.

You can either download and burn your own, or I can email you the zipped file, or if you don't have a burner, find someone who does, or as a last resort if you are really desperate I can burn you a CD and mail it to you.

I can also e-mail you the custom Excel spreadsheet I used to plot my FR, so all you have to do is plug in your numbers.

Also, the RS SPL meter is inaccurate for bass tones, and needs correction factors applied. You can build these right into the spreadsheet, or add them in manually before you enter the data.

Doc

SVS
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Sounds like good stuff Doc. Now I got to go find that thread you posted with the Rat Shack correction factors.

jltrdavis: If it's any consolation, the S&V does have an audio test that checks for subwoofer low pass x-over settings (test tone that starts at a high frequency and drops rapidly.) Not very useful if you're trying to pin point exact frequency ranges of your sub, but works well in helping you get that perfect blend between your mains and sub.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Once again Doc, thanks. I will take that email if you don't mind. The zip file of the fq sweep and the chart.

If...
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Here ya go folks:

1/12th octave zipped file:

http://www2.markfitzsimmons.com:8000/gomer/

RS SPL Correction Factors:

http://members.tripod.com/~terryctheater/shivaphotoalbum/page11.html

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Ron, you've got mail.

Ed

SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Thanks Doc!

If...
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Just completed calibration with the S&V disk last night, and it seems my picture is quite a bit darker than what the calibrations "say" it should be via the tests. The contrast setting is much lower than it used to be, brightness about the same. This must be the "movie mode", eh? :)

Not easy for me to tell when "blooming" occurs on the contrast test. I may give it another try.
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    Not easy for me to tell when "blooming" occurs on the contrast test. I may give it another try.

The blooming test was pretty difficult to do as it was hard to figure out what to look for. I went up and down a few times till i was just able to pickup the difference between the top two boxes and the line between them was as sharp as possible.

Doc:
    Thanks for the Tone MP3's. Made a CD last night. I was finally able to gauge where my lows would go with the 404. Seems that the cut off point for her was about 31-29 Hz. Anything lower was barely audible (or feelable).