Looking for speaker stands

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I got a pair of LSi9's in Cherry, great speaker. I now need a set of good speaker stands. Is matching Cherry to much to ask?

I am not real comfortable with the models Polk shows in the shopping area. At 30" tall, I want stands that are sturdy as hell, and with the LSi9's VERY large footprint, I want a large top plate. And they need to look good.

So far I have only found the following:

From Parts Express: cheap but a little short
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=10550842&St=8608&St2=61506278&St3=60032083&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=4929&DID=7

From Premier (Paradigm): J60
http://www.premier-av-furniture.com/SiteContents/pdfs/premierstands.pdf

Guys have you got any suggestions? Cheap is ok also.

Thanks for any help.
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    I think they belong on 18"-26" stands. Those ones PE look about perfect. Don't get too top-heavy.

My personal opinion, 'matching' woodtones with stands and speakers looks silly.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2003
    I will try a lower height, they are on 30" now and I like.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited January 2003
    I use the Sanus Natural Foundation "Cherry". they worked GREAT.
    you can see them opn my web site. check it out. Shannons Home Theater Site
    I hope this helps! Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2003
    I have a pair of the PartsExpress stands you linked to Hoosier21. They are the most sturdy stands I've seen for large "bookshelf" speakers. I was using them with a pair of RT55i but moved those and use the stands with JBL S38ii speakers in second room system. You can fill the stands with lead or sand, but they are heavy by themselves. They are also spiked on top and bottom and hold speakers isolated very well. You may be able to apply paint to them, but I haven't tried. The height wasn't a problem for me because they put the RT55i tweeters right at ear level while I was sitting. I haven't checked to be sure, but I think your speakers have similar dimensions. They occasionally put the stands on sale for about ten percent off.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2003
    I don't know anything about these but I was looking at them recently. I did a search on ebay for speaker stands. This guy sells a lot of different ones, check his other items for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14997&item=1950228317

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2003
    Thanks Chuck, they look like the same stands PE is selling.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• cscsDanny
    cscsDanny Posts: 30
    edited January 2003
    Ill offer this as an option. I was looking like mad for a set of adequate speaker stands to support the monster rt55i. I came to the conclusion that stands with a large enough top plate were few and far between and when they were found the pair costed anywhere from 100-200$.

So, I got to thinking and thought how splendid a set of bar stools would work. The average circumferance of any bar stool is large enough to the fat arses of the average bar fly. Why wouldn't they support my speakers? Sure enough, I went to an unfinished wood furniture store, picked up two 18 inch unfinished stools for 40 bucks. If your anal about your decor, I woud suggest finishing them with an appropriate stain.

Go bar stool bro!!!!!!! :)
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
    DVD PLAYER: Sony DVP-NC655P
    Mains: Bi-Amped Polk Rt1000i
    Surrounds: Bi-Wired Polk Rt55i
    Center: Bi-Wired Polk Cs400i
    Subwooofer: SVS PB1

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    I like this dude....he has.....ummm..imagination??????lol.. (thinking like f1 here....lol)
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2003
    Here is the funny part, they are sitting on 30" plant stands for now, but not for long.

Hey Danny a good freind of mine used bar stools, nothing wrong with that.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• cscsDanny
    edited January 2003
    Ok, now your just making fun of me :D

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2003
    Just don't misinterpret the post that mentions "an appropriate stain" "if you're anal about your decor".
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    No, he's not making fun, Nascarmann had his SDA CRS on barstools, I've pondered doing it myself.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cscsDanny
    edited January 2003
    LOL, just got the irony behind my stain/ anal line. Very witty, I would never have picked up on it. :) lol

• Emlyn
    edited January 2003
    I like cscsDanny's barstool idea. Could even add spikes (PartsExpress part #240-725) for $5 on the legs and seat top. Not sure if it would be much benefit on sound to do so, though it would improve stability further on carpet if it has think padding. Would be more sturdy than most wood speaker stands I've seen. And, you can stain them any way you want to (no double meaning intended).
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    What's the benefit of putting the point of a spike into your speaker? I wouldn't do it just on the aesthetic damage alone......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2003
    I've got aracama Nexus 28" with my Lsi9's and they look amazing...these stands are about 140$ and the best I've seen on any lsi9's

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • Emlyn
    edited January 2003
    Hey Brett,
    True, the speaker would rest on the spikes, although the spikes would leave only small indentations in the laminate. The stands Hoosier linked to use the same spikes. The indentations were tiny on the bottom of my RT55is, and you know how heavy they are. The rubber stick on things a lot of wooden stands come with serve a similar purpose--preventing a large speaker from moving on an unstable base when it's played hard. Again though, I don't know if spikes or rubber bumpers have any particular benefits over one another in terms of how a speaker sounds.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2003
    Lsi9,

I've been looking at the Atacama Nexus stands to mount my Dynaudio 1.3mkII's on and I was wondering if the two back pillars can be filled with sand? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited January 2003
    f.y.i. P.E. has their stands on sale right now.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2003
    Miniskirts belong on bar-stools.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    Lsi9,

I've been looking at the Atacama Nexus stands to mount my Dynaudio 1.3mkII's on and I was wondering if the two back pillars can be filled with sand? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    they say yes but I havent looked into it much I dont think you can though...but I must say they are VERY stable

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2003
    Lsi9,

Thanks! All I can find is that the main column can be filled and thats it. I've got no dealers in the area so I can't really go look at them... But thanks for the info!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15