Lsi 15 Question

Jimmie
Jimmie Posts: 103
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I was looking for a way to look at the woofer but do not see a way to get the skirt off. What if the woofer had to be replaced or worked on. How would you get to it. I do not see a way to pull it. Just curious. Any Ideas? Also I would like to pull the wood panels off. Anyone know if the cabinet underneath has the gloss black finish? Thanks.

Jimmie
Post edited by Jimmie on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Jimmie,
    First off, the wood panels are bonded inplace. they are there to improve the sound of the speakers ( the panels help reduce resonace from the speaker cabinet), they are not there for looks alone. If you have a problem with the passive radiator your best bet is to return the speaker to where you got it. Opening any speaker just for a "Look See" is a bad idea. Murphy's Law comes to mind, What ever can go wrong, will go wrong at the least opportune time!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • bertram
    bertram Posts: 53
    edited January 2003
    I always check the drivers of the speakers I buy to make sure that there is no damage to the cone, surround, etc, and that the mounting screws are tight (they loosen in transit sometimes). It's pretty easy to pull out the woofer grille of the LSi15. The grille has a pretty snug fit in the panel opening so I gently inserted the thin metal blade of a 1.5" spatula (paint scraper) between the wooden panel and grille edge (it goes in at least half an inch) and pressed down on the grille so as to open up a little more space. Then I inserted a flat screwdriver into the crevice so that its tip contacted the back part of the grille and gently pulled on it to coax the grille out. The grille consists of a plastic frame covered by a very tough fabric so it can take a lot more than this. Move the screwdriver to different areas of the grille as it is coming out to make the process more even.
    Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Denon 3803 AVR (pre/pro duty)
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    Polk LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 (front/center/surround)
    SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
    Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    Outlaw 7100 amp
    Panasonic TH-37PX50U plasma
    Polk RTi8/CSi5/RTi6/FXi5(front/center/surround/back)
    SVS PCU
  • Jimmie
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for the reply's guys. My wife and I love the piano gloss black finish. I did discover just minutes ago that the grill could be carefully pryed off. It appears the finish underneath the wood panels is finished in the gloss black. If it is indeed bonded on that sucks. It could have been screwed on even from the inside with a 90 degree chuck in a drill. Oh well, i like these speakers anyway. i did discover that they have a long breakin. I have had these for about 5 months and just lately noticed they are now sounding more laid back, silky, and sweeter, than when they were new. Anyone else noticed that?
    Prior to these Polk's I had a set of speakers I built, or I should say assembled, which had all Vifa drivers and they were very sweet and silky sounding. They were 3-ways and I had madisound.com design the crossovers. I like that sound for easy listening and light classical. When the Polk's were new I thought I had lost some of that sound but now they are coming around sounding better than the ones I had before.

Jimmie
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Jimmie
    My wife and I love the piano gloss black finish.

If you like the look of the gloss finish, why would you be thinking about wanting to remove it?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Jimmie
    Also I would like to pull the wood panels off.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • brettw22
    edited January 2003
    ya............WHY
  • Jimmie
    edited January 2003
    Brett,
    We like the look of the gloss black. I know taking the wood panels off sounds weird to some but remember the center and fx's do not have wood panels. I thought it would be nice to have the panels on or off as desired just like removing or replacing the grills as desired. I don't have the grills on but Ihave them if I ever want to put them back on.

Jimmie
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2003
    DUST and poking fingers are the enemy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    edited January 2003
    OH OH OH OH OH OH OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GET IT!!!!! :lol:

You're wanting to take off the BLACK or CHERRY wood panels. I was thinking of the "wood panels" as the BLACK GLOSS cabinet, where you'd be revealing a subframe type of thing. My god........this is what happens on a workout day........brain function goes to ****..............
  • Jimmie
    edited January 2003
    I've got the same problem Brett.

I think red oak on the front just in the area where the mtm drivers are located would look good and the rest of the cabinet finished with that mirrow black of course.

Jimmie
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    The 15 sports an active woofer, not a pr. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    I have a lot of people at the store ask about taking off the wood panels too. It would be kind of cool to be able to go just glossy if you wanted to, or pop in a different color wood panel if the mood struck.
  • Jimmie
    edited January 2003
    You Got it Fireshoes. That's what I'm talking about, as the bud light guy says.

Jimmie
  • brettw22
    edited January 2003
    Martin Logan inspired.............

Only problem with the Polks that had interchangable colored wood panels is that it'd probably be fairly expensive because of the size and amount of the wood.
  • Jimmie
    edited January 2003
    Brett ,
    Do you have Martin Logans?

Jimmie
  • brettw22
    edited January 2003
    No........but I do like their idea of being able to customize your speakers with your interior by having them available with several colors of wood accent panels.........
  • Jimmie
    edited January 2003
    I auditioned the Martin logans before I bought the LSI's. Talk about great sounding! I just could not pull the trigger on that price tag though.

Jimmie