Ok guys, put your thinking caps on...

Options
VE6OHV
VE6OHV Posts: 119
OK here goes.

I just brought home the newest addition to my HT rig. It is a Tympani TPS-15, 15" 350w powered sub. Now here is my dilemma. I have the Denon AVR1803, CSI40, RT1000p's (mains), RT35I's (side surrounds), Sound Dynamics bookshelfs (rear centers), and a heavily modified JBL PSW1000 powered sub.

This might give you an Idea of what I am dealing with.

X..........(10")X....X
.................................x
x
.................................x
X(15")
X........................X

Large X I have set to "Large" Small x are set to "Small"

I have the powered subs in the rt1000's running off of the front main outputs on the reciver. Reciver cross over is set to 120hz and sub to "norm". Both subs are on the LFE channel, the JBL cross over is set to 120hz, the TPS cross over is set to 75+/-hz.

I did notice the "Dead Zone" that Dr. Spec mentioned on many occaisions, I have everything set and balanced with the SPL meter with the subs running a little "hot" at +6db (to compensate for the meter as discussed prev.)

Now for the question..... I have 4 subs now (including the rt1000's), in the same room. I am trying different positions for the subs, however the 15 is "slow". The box is not ported or vented and it runs a 350w plate amp. If I try to run just that then it sounds terrible trying to push anything upwards of (I'm guessing) 80hz. The 10" sounds great at the same freq. but drops off quickly. How can I run it all?

Thanks

Steve

PS. Anyone ever heard of TYMPANI? They are Canadian, and pretty impressive so far.
Post edited by VE6OHV on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    We have similiar setups. I have been running 4 subs with my rt1000's also. All are "daisy chained" off the lfe. One sub in front right corner and the second "near" the back right corner. Sounds great. I would like to stack my subs onday as Dr. Spec suggest.
    If I try to run just that then it sounds terrible
    This is a problem. Trying to make them work well together - very difficult.
  • VE6OHV
    VE6OHV Posts: 119
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have tried to stack the sub's in the corner and it seems to localize the LFE too much for my tastes. I can tell immediately where the LFE is coming from. It will be more than a little difficult to place the boxes where I sit and crawl around. Are there any other ideas on how to make the system work together better?

I have been playing with the cross over settings on the Denon and have settled on 100hz, it seems to be where the RT1000's like to be.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok guys, put your thinking caps on...

has a headache...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have tried to stack the sub's in the corner and it seems to localize the LFE too much for my tastes.
    Very interesting - been toying around this theory for awhile. Have not done it because of a place to plug power to the top sub.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    put all your subs along the front wall and set all your speakers to small but your mains this will get rid of most of your bass nulls