Sda Crs+ ?

Options
edwardm10
edwardm10 Posts: 104
edited April 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys and gals. For those of you who own SDA CRS+'s, (mine are on the metal square tubing stands), how far do you position them from the rear wall? Thanks.
Post edited by edwardm10 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Welcome Edward I sent you a PM. The closer to the rear wall the more bass response you will get.

BTW you can fill your stands up with lead shot and it will improve the sound of the CRSs.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited April 2007
    Options
    6.5 inches from the back wall on the stock stands each filled with 22lbs. of lead shot sitting on Mye Sound solid brass billet spikes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and replies guys. I currently have them about five inches from the wall, no lead shot yet however. I know they won't give me the same full bass response as my 1-C's, but I do prefer the overall performance of the CRS+'s. By the way, though my post count doesn't show it, I've been reading the forums for about two years now. Lots of great info.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    6.5 inches from the back wall on the stock stands each filled with 22lbs. of lead shot sitting on Mye Sound solid brass billet spikes.

+10 on the Mye Sound brass points.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Edward,

The distance isn't set in stone, each room will be different and therefore the ideal distance will be too. The real answer to your question would be, whatever sounds best to you. I will say that the combination of upgraded tweeters and crossovers, shot loaded stands and good spikes will improve the overall performance with a noticeable improvement in bass response.

As you may have noticed, Joe and I really like the Mye Sound spikes. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited April 2007
    Options
    F1- I have read your's and other's comments on the virtues of upgrading the crossovers for these speakers. Frankly that is not something I feel comfortable doing as I wouldn't know one thingy from another thingy. Do you know who would do this for a "reasonable" price. Alternatively this is something I could probably get my local audio tech to do if I had clear directions/diagrams and parts (from where?). I have had him replace the polyswitches already and I upgraded the tweeters as soon as I got them (after your all quick recomendations).

Also, my CRS+'s are in bookshelf mode flat up against the wall (not optimum I know, but WAF) with the low end bypassed to my HSU sub. Are the xover mods going to be that noticeable without the lows going through anyway?
    Thanks.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I'm sure your local tech could handle the job. There should be a parts list in here somewhere. If not, Polk will send you a schematic for the asking.

Hard to say what improvements you may hear with the way they are set up, but the mods improve more than just the bass.

President of Club Polk