Sansui TU-777 AM/FM Analog Tuner

Options
hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
Sansui TU-777 AM/FM Analog Tuner

This is the tuna I purchased from Russ. It is not a common model, and is very sought after. It has a large planatary tuning dial. Very near immaculate condition - "museum quality, top to bottom," to quote RuSs.

Most of the time I have had this one simply sitting on top of my power center on "display". Aligned, plug and play.

It's done it duty now I need to make space for other equipment. I hate to give this up though not just because of the music part but because of its looks. Many late nights listening to CDs I had the tuna powed up 'cause it looks so cool. The large planatary dial illuminates into a soothing color and the red and amber leds contrast nicely with it.

This tuner needs good home where it will be enjoyed for the listening, not just looking cool in my rig.

No manual or original box. Will pack it carefully and ship in a cartoon triple wrapped in bubble wrap, more if I feel it needs it.

$old to Bill Ayotte. Check or postal money order. I don't know what the shipping would be until I get it to the post office so we will have to work out a shipping payment.

Please email me through the user control panel.
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,078
    edited February 2007
    Options
    This is the tubed tuna I purchased from Russ.
    umm... a TU-777 isn't "tubed"... that's why it says "solid state" on the front.
    Some very early solid state tuners used a tube (sometimes a NuVistor) in the front end, because it took the industry a while to develop and manufacture reliable RF transistors, but AFAIK the TU-777 dates from a bit later than that era.

It is a fairly nice tuner, though. And your photos are very nice.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote:
    umm... a TU-777 isn't "tubed"... that's why it says "solid state" on the front.
    Some very early solid state tuners used a tube (sometimes a NuVistor) in the front end, because it took the industry a while to develop and manufacture reliable RF transistors, but AFAIK the TU-777 dates from a bit later than that era.

It is a fairly nice tuner, though. And your photos are very nice.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html

Duhhhh sorry how that got past the reread is beyond me!!!!:eek: :o

Thanks for the correction.:)
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sansui made some great tuners. I use a 999 in my main rig and it's a very underrated unit. Also have a 519 ready for duty if needed. I think the looks alone of the 777 are worth the price of admission. Hearing, didn't you just get this a few months ago??
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    capecodder wrote:
    Sansui made some great tuners. I use a 999 in my main rig and it's a very underrated unit. Also have a 519 ready for duty if needed. I think the looks alone of the 777 are worth the price of admission. Hearing, didn't you just get this a few months ago??

Yep and I fondly remember our conversations but like I said. . .need money and space to continue the pace to audio nirvana. . . I have an old GE five tube superhetrodyne AM radio that I use to listen to the radio which is rare anymore. I'm usually listening to the analog and digital front ends where I control the music. LOL
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2007
    Options
    capecodder wrote:

That 999 is not under rated, that is a very fine unit Ted. It's much harder to locate than the 777. The 717 is also very good. I've got wood for a TU-919. If you find one up there on the Cape, I'll be knocking at your door:D If you could locate a Sansui TU-X1 or a Accuphase T-109V, I'd move back to Harwichport just to jam to tunes on the Chatham dunes!
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sorry Joe! I didn't mean to hijack! The 777 is a cool factor tuner, I'd love to have it but I'd rather have someone have it that really would use it as the fine tuner that it is. Good luck with the sale!

Carl
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    That 999 is not under rated, that is a very fine unit Ted. It's much harder to locate than the 777. The 717 is also very good. I've got wood for a TU-919. If you find one up there on the Cape, I'll be knocking at your door:D If you could locate a Sansui TU-X1 or a Accuphase T-109V, I'd move back to Harwichport just to jam to tunes on the Chatham dunes!

How 'bout buying the 777 ya hijacker you!!!:D :p Thread terrorist!!!:p

EDIT: ya beat me to the punch . . .Okay I take it all back!!!:rolleyes: ;):p
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The 777 is a no brainer, esp at the price. Last one I saw sell on ebay went for over $300 and it wasn't near as nice.

Tell your wives its an audio investement, if need be, but close escrow on this thing already.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    The 777 is a no brainer, esp at the price. Last one I saw sell on ebay went for over $300 and it wasn't near as nice.

Your absolutely right Russ. I buy my equipment to use and enjoy. I really don't give a whole lot of thought as to the resale value to the next buyer. I understand you're "in the business" I'm just a having fun with music ;)

Your advice is rock solid, I'm not bustin nads just giving you some of the novice perspective.;) Thanks for your pro perspective, It's good schoolin' for this old boy!

Carl
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Options
    You're kidding me, right? This is still here?

I've got some Von Schweikert speaks and an Usher amp to pay for right now, if it's still here in a week or two, I'll buy it back, and put it right back where I had it. It'll put me $200 further away from my Nottingham, but this is getting rediculous - I don't want to see this one 'leave the family', it would never be seen again.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks Bro! If it don't go here. . . I'm not going outside of the forum with it.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2007
    Options
    This is insane :) I have "matching" AU-777 integrated amp. :eek: First solid state amp/receiver Sansui ever made.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room