FS: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 640A v1 Integrated Amplifier

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited April 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Cambridge Audio 640A(v1) Integrated Amplifier - 8/10 - Black - *SOLD* to Gaara

This unit has been a staple in my home for awhile. I would liken the CA sound to be very much like NAD since they are basically, regional siblings. It has more power than the NAD in raw specs and is every bit as capable in my experience. It's a rock solid, reliable and musical unit. I think its an underrated company.

The two main differences between the CA V1/V2 is 10wpc and the built-in Incognito multi-room feature. Unless you plan on going multi-room, and specifically using the Incognito product, its useless. The other changes are minor and not audible from my local audio store demo's. It's just my opinion, everything is subjective in audio.

It's packaging is unique, with fabric covers instead of generic plastic. The remote control is very heavy, with an aluminum fascia. IEC, A+B speaker outputs, pre-outs, tone controls....an absolutely full featured integrated amplifier.

WHAT HIFI? 2005 Best Stereo Amplifier Under $1000(USD)

Note: One small, pencil tip mark on the top, otherwise beautiful condition. It's in smoking 8/10 condition. I've only used it for video games at nominal volume, since its a nearfield setup, with some killer KEF C15, Polk LSi7 and Mission MS50.

Includes: Original everything.

Azur 640A
Power Output: 65 watts into 8 Ohms
100 watts into 4 Ohms

Input Impedance: 47k Ohms

Loudspeaker Impedance: 4 to 8 Ohms

Line: 380mV

Phono (using optional phono stage): 1.75mV *NO PHONO STAGE*

Total Harmonic Distortion (into 8 Ohms 80% rated power): 0.005% THD (No weighting) @ 1kHz
0.003% THD (A weighted) @ 1kHz
0.01% THD (No weighting) @ 20Hz - 20kHz

Frequency Response: 5Hz to 50kHz +/- 1dB

Bass: +/- 10dB @100Hz

Treble: +/- 10dB @10kHz

Signal to Noise Ratio (No weighting): 92dB

Slew rate (into 8 ohms): 40V/uS

Max. Power Consumption: 615 watts

Dimensions (mm): 430 x 320 x 100

Weight: 7 kg/15.4 lbs

Thanks for looking :D

CA640A250
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited March 2007
    Options
    dood do you own a store or something?
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited March 2007
    Options
    cause if you do I need a smoking deal on a power amp and preamp to power my lsi's that are coming
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Jim - I have a pair of rare, old school Denon monoblocks that would work just fine for a pair of LSi :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited March 2007
    Options
    That is a sweet looking unit.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    It boggles me that they don't get more press....thanks Trey.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ive been pretty impressed with my Cambridge unit. Solid build, came in a cloth bag instead of plastic wrap...

Good stuff.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    That's a nice touch IMO.....makes me feel like they care.
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I just got a 640R it's there 7.1 channel receiver it's a very nice peice for the money.
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Jay - Where are you using that? I like that unit and thought about getting one simply for the tuner section at the computer.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I'm trying to interest a friend of mine! Very nice unit!
    Carl

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Polk Audio Forum. . . the only place you can say to another man, "nice unit!" without getting strange looks from others.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    LOL :D Its like saying someone is a great packer, in regards to shipping.
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I am using it's as a surround sound receiver in the living room.
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited March 2007
    Options
    jhermance wrote:
    I just got a 640R it's there 7.1 channel receiver it's a very nice peice for the money.

I've got it's little brother, the 540R. Show me another AVR on the market with a toroidal transformer at anywhere within 30 percent of a higher retail price. You can't!

Regarding the 640A V1 here, hook it up with a pair of those little Epos ELS3s and your golden.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Just got a 540R for the next installation. Cambridge Audio makes great stuff for the price. I'll probably be ordering one of the 640R's as a demo unit soon. They may not have all the bells and whistles that Yamaha and Denon tout, but they make up for it in sound quality. The importer is a very solid company as well, which is one of the reasons I signed up with them to begin with. Actually, I am using a large portion of the parent company's offerings: Mordaunt Short, C.A., Incognito(C.A.'s entry level distributed audio), and Opus(upper level distributed audio).

With the V2, you can add a couple ABus keypads, and you are on your way to a simple distributed audio system. If anyone has any other technical questions, I can help.

Great price. Good luck with the sale.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I had an excellent demo of a 640R running a 5.1 Magnepan(MC1x4+CC3) array. The low end was backed up by a Rel T2, which is much smaller than I expected but a great subwoofer.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    The Integrated is still available....anyone need a nice piece of gear for a spare room?
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Last call....$250/shipped.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    More pics and data.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Doro,

What forms of payment do you accept? I'm interested.

Thanks.

Jared
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I accept small trinkets, beads and shells....foreign nationals looking for basement/dungeon lodging get you top dollar credit.

Jared - Email me and we'll chat... dorokusai@comcast.net
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited April 2007
    Options
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2007
    Options
    $250, that's an AWESOME deal. If I didn't buy one yesterday, I would've given serious consideration to this one.

Nice snag, Gaara.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Jared - Received, talk to you soon.