Subwoofer Crossover Question

kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Apologies in advance on this question which I am sure has been asked/answered in the past. I wanted to ask you experts out there about setting subwoofer crossover for best bass blending and performance.

Seems I read somewhere that unless you have very large mains and/or surrounds, the receiver crossover setting (given a choice of 80Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz on the receiver) should be set to 100Hz with the setting on the sub somewhat higher, say 110-120Hz. A setting of 80Hz on the receiver with say, 90-100Hz set on the sub would typically place too much bass demand on the mains (or at least the surrounds), yes? Or am I confused and getting this all wrong?!

Given my system in my profile below, can I solicit for some recommendations/advice from you folks?

Thanks,

Kevin
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Not sure this will help, I but I tend to keep mine right where the vioces freq. cuts off, around 70-60 hz. With your mains, I'd just put it around 80 or 70 hz, on the sub, or try around 50-80 hz..somewhere around in there and see what sounds best for you
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    With your speaks - 80 Hz all day. No need to go higher - they can all take it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Sounds great - thanks for the fast reply!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited January 2003
    I too have been questioning the Crossover Frequency that should be used on the sub. I used to be into car audio, and the subs were always set at or near 60Hz. I have the Polk PSW 350, and there is a white area on the Hz range, which looks like you are supposed to leave it within that certain range. However this range looks to be between 90-70Hz; the manual mentions nothing about this area. Should I leave in that whited area or put it down to the 60Hz?

Also, what is the 180 degree phase switch for? I currently have it set at the 0 degrees. Can someone explain to me what this does? Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    OK - real quik. The phase is how your sub "responds". To make it simple if your sub is in the front of your HT near the mains set phase to 0 - if sub is farther towards the back of your HT set phase to 180. 0 "responds" directly with main speakers in "phase". 180 "responds" out of "phase" or opposite in back of room compensating for the sound to "travel" and match the frontstage speakers. Some subs have variable phase to exactly dial in what sounds best from YOUR sweetspot. Hope this helps!!!
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by thehalo8
    I have the Polk PSW 350, and there is a white area on the Hz range, which looks like you are supposed to leave it within that certain range. However this range looks to be between 90-70Hz; the manual mentions nothing about this area. Should I leave in that whited area or put it down to the 60Hz?

I tend to believe that Polk has the "white" area on the sub for convience more than anything else. The "white" area is there I believe as a refference point to set the sub to when it is used as part of a Sat/Sub combo package such as the RM series of Sats with a PSW sub. Because of this, Polk put a "white" range on the low pass filter knowing that if someone purchased the sub with a RM series sat set, this is the range that would give the best blending for the sat/sub combo. Most sat's packages have a particular sub that goes with the combo and thus "the white marked area".

If this isn't that case with your system (sat/sub combo) then set the low pass x-over to whatever sounds best.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....