HELP!!! 12 AWG wire goes to which terminal???

nellis8166
nellis8166 Posts: 292
This is my last question for a while, I swear. After thinking about it, and several suggestions, I decided to go the budget route in bi-wiring my LSI9s and LSIC. A trip to home depot and radio shack and I am ready to go.
I am going to use 12AWG for the lows and 16AWG for the highs. My question is how do I know which terminals the 12AWG wire goes to and vice versa??? Does the 12AWG go with a specific color and vice versa.
Again, thanks to eveyone for all the help. I'll post something tomorrow to let everyone know my results.

Nat
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    if your using hd wire - 12 guage is silver and copper? silver go to red's....copper go to black, 16 guage - white line goes to black, no line goes to red

Tweeter - Top Post
    Woofer - Bottum Post
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    I could be wrong, but I believe the "silver" wire is actually tinned copper and would use this for the negative side.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    i went with sid's suggestion and wired everything accordingly. sounds great, not really sure who is right on this one. not sure that it really makes a difference either as long as everything is wired the same way.
    nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    In cheap wire there is a reason one is "silver"(not silver but just some type of cheap metal) and the other is copper. Copper is more conductive and therefor is used as the positive.
    U had a 50/50 chance one this one Mx. Better "guessing" next time.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    I always thought that they keep the two lines different colors intentionally because it's cheaper to manufacture that way rather than having to mark one side of the jacket with a white stripe. No arguement about copper being more conductive, but the "cheaper metal" wire may be aluminum which is no slouch when it comes to conductivity either...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    The aluminum is much cheaper than the copper and that is the reason why it manufactured that way. Not to mention the copper is low grade in these wires so both will quickly oxidize. Even so it is more conductive and the positive carrys more electrical (meaningful) current than the negative.