RSTERN Posts: 287
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Time to upgade, my current system is:
yamaha r-v 1103
polk rt 16 main
polk cs300 center
kenwood 1050sw sub
optimus sat/sub for surrounds
i was looking at replacing the surrounds and sub with polks. The kenwood does not blend in well. It is either over powering the rt16 or is not that noticable. Which would be a good match for the surrounds, I was thinking of the rti28 ?
Thanks for your help
Rob Stern
mains: rt16
center: csi40
surrounds:fx 1000
sub: SVS 20-39pc+
Post edited by RSTERN on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    There is NO way that a Kenwood receiver is going to overpower your RT16's. Underpower, perhaps, but I can't imagine that it's capable or dominating the 16's.

I have 2 pair myself and have no desire to get rid of them. I'm all game for collecting as many pairs as I can to put a pair in each room.

Anyway, back to your surround question. Is there a price limit that you're looking to stay within? I don't know how much the RT28's go for, so just curious........

Give a lil more detail about the size of your room and how much you're looking to spend on the speakers. It'll help the guys give ya the best options based on what you're currently set up as.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2003
    The receiver is a yamaha rv-1103. the kenwood is the sub. What I meant to say was the kenwood sub is not very tight almost noisy in some music and movies.
    Room size is 18 x 17x8. On one of the 17ft. sides is open to the dining and entry way. With a fireplace right in the middle of the other 17ft. wall.
    Price range around 500 for surrounds and a sub, maybe a little more.
    Went by cc to look to see what the had. Rt1000i for $468.00, open box. whould it be worth getting theses and moving the rt16 to the rear for the surrounds?
    thanks
    Rob Stern
  • brettw22
    edited January 2003
    Sorry......totally misread your initial post..........

Personally, I'm not a big fan of powered speakers (even though i just got the beastly cs1000p). I personally wouldn't move your 16's from where they're at unless you're not happy with them. Before I got rid of the 16's, I'd replace your sub. I'm not familiar with Kenwood products really other than that they're a pretty entry level product line, IMO.

For surrounds, personally i like the bi/dipole firing speakers. I didn't get the actual surrounding effect from the dirict firing speakers, as you'd have if you went with the 28's, or moving the 16's to the back. I'm not familiar with Optimus speakers, but are they direct firing or bi/di setup?
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2003
    Brett
    love the rt16, they sound great. Do the bi/di speakers sound good with music or are they more for home theater?

optimus are radio shack speakers.

what sub would you recommed, psw450 or 404. or would the 350 do?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Rob:

Save a little coin and get a HSU VTF-2 or an SVS 25-31PCi. You will not regret either choice.

Ed
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • byteme
    byteme Posts: 73
    edited January 2003
    Rob,

the di/bi poles are better for HT than music - and for some that is even debateable. The di/bi will provide a less localizable sound - great for most surround effects except for some discrete stuff that you are SUPPOSED to be able to localize. For 5 channel music you'd be better off with direct radiators since you're supposed to be able to tell more where it's coming from. I've got f/x500i's and love them, but I'm more for movies - all my music listening is 2 channel.

As for a sub - I know this is a Polk forum - but absolutely without question get an SVS sub. Especially if you're using it primarily for home theater. Hsu VTF3 is somewhat comparable but I feel (literally!!!) that the SVS blows it's doors. The VTF3 may be a little bit more musical, but the SVS moves WAY more air and goes lower, louder. I used to have a Kenwood sub that was part of a hometheater in a box - when that was all I had heard I thought it was great. Then I got the SVS. WHOA damn. Now THIS is home theater! I've had 3 friends over to hear it when they were looking into subs and each of them got an SVS. There is a lot of hype about them out there but they ARE that good.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    i like the bi/di surounds. i have the fx 500i with is the same as the fx 50 they are great for movies. and what is your buget for your speakers? the svs istarts at about 545 and goes to 900
  • brettw22
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Save a little coin and get a HSU VTF-2 or an SVS 25-31PCi. You will not regret either choice.

Spec,

I thought that the SVS subs were somewhat expensive. If I understand his initial post correctly, he's looking at spending about $500 for both surrounds and a sub. The SVS' would blow that limit, no?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Hi Brett:

Yes it would - hence the "save a little coin". They are not THAT expensive and he seems somewhat flexible. $550 for a 25-31PCi; less on B-stock. Just trying to save him from upgraditis. His choice, of course.

Ed
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2003
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably hold off on the surrounds and go for the svs sub. And if I'm lucky the better half will let me get a new dvd player.

Rob Stern
  • brettw22
    edited January 2003
    Heya Doc.....

I got lost on "save a little coin" and having to spend more money........I get it now........kinda..... ;)