Storing speakers question...

Options
BottomFeeder
BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I'm considering buying another set of RTA12C's that've been in dry storage for 17, count'em 17, years!

Are there any potential problems associated w/storing speakers for that long? Taint good for cars, but is the same true for speaks?
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
Post edited by BottomFeeder on

Comments

• BottomFeeder
    edited March 2007
    Options
    *bump*
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If stored properly, they should be ok. One thing, the electrolytic caps may be dried out and not up to par, but that's an easy fix.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BottomFeeder
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hey, thanks for responding!

What's an "electrolytic cap" and how would I know if they're dried out?

By the way, they've been stored in their original boxes all these years!

Thanks again!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited March 2007
    Options
    The crossover is made up of three basic components, capacitors, resistors and inductors. There are various types of capacitors, one being electrolytic. Basically, they get old, fall out of tolerance and no longer perform properly. Whether you can hear the difference or not I can't say. Often, one doesn't notice a difference until they are replaced at which time things will likely sound better than before. What you can do is measure them with an VOM. The typical electrolytic cap has a +/- tolerance of 10%, if it measures outside of that, it's toast.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Check the wood for swelling. If the wood isn't swelled up there probably isn't any problems with them. The grill cloth can get deteriorated, but new grill cloth would help the looks and sound of those speakers any way. Guys here have used windex to clean their woofers, and you can use some Armor all sprayed on a q tip for the rubbers.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited March 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    The crossover is made up of three basic components, capacitors, resistors and inductors. There are various types of capacitors, one being electrolytic. Basically, they get old, fall out of tolerance and no longer perform properly. Whether you can hear the difference or not I can't say. Often, one doesn't notice a difference until they are replaced at which time things will likely sound better than before. What you can do is measure them with an VOM. The typical electrolytic cap has a +/- tolerance of 10%, if it measures outside of that, it's toast.

Can you get a true capacitance reading with the cap connected in the circuit or do you have to desolder one lead?
    David
  • BottomFeeder
    edited March 2007
    Options
    *Bumperoo!*
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Do the cap change out you cant go wrong buy the solens they seem to be popular on here
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables