Yard sale find

Options
foxhounds2
foxhounds2 Posts: 16
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I picked up a pair of model 10's at a yard sale today for $40. They are in near mint condition. One has an acoustic lens on the tweeter that is black. The other one is clear yellowish in color. What is the difference? I assume one is a replacement. The one with the black acoustic lens isn't as bright as the other one. They sound fantastic! Any information on these would be appreciated. I built an active bass equalizer for some speakers I built. It boost the output at the box tuning frequency. In this case it is at 32 hz. When swithed in it brings the bass output down drastically. I always wanted to try it on a pair of speakers with a passive radiator instead of a ducted port. Does anyone know what the resonance frequency of the 10's are? it must be very close to 32 hz because the equalizer does them justice.
Jon Fox
Life without music would be very bland, imagine not being able to hear. Protect your ears!!!:(
Post edited by foxhounds2 on

Comments

• foxhounds2
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Actually, both tweeters say Polk right on the faceplates. I was wondering if one tweeter had the lens pulled off for some reason. Both tweeters have the lead wires coming in diagonally.
    Jon Fox
    Life without music would be very bland, imagine not being able to hear. Protect your ears!!!:(
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Nice find and welcome to Club Polk.

Is the tweeter dome transparent or actually been removed? There was a variety of parts and revisions used in that model. Look at the parts inside for a better idea of which revision you have to select the proper replacement tweeter. Start by unscrewing the terminal cover at the rear. The crossover is attached inside and it will be heavy so get ready to support the weight in your free hand when the last screw comes out. If you're lucky, there will be a white tag on the crossover starting with BE1xxxx. Otherwise look at stickers on the drivers and compare with the parts list below.

You can hunt for a used tweeter or buy the upgraded tweeters available from Polk Audio that are smoother sounding. You need to figure out which version of 10's you have before ordering. When you call, mention that you are a Club Polk member.

These will help you identify what you have.

parts list
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

schematics
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38755

various tweeters
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25377

product page
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor10/
  • foxhounds2
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the info Polk65. The dome on the one tweeter is transparent, the other one seems to have a transparent dome under a black lens that has a very small hole right in the center. I haven't taken them apart yet, but I am assuming that they are the first model because they have the fuse clip on the wiring cup. The model number sticker says "Model10". Going by the schematics the first model had a fuse and the rest have a resetable safety. Does the latest model of tweeters bolt right on or are there mods that need to be made to get them to fit? I really like the performance of these speakers. They are my first Polks. I usually build my own. I also have a pair of Pioneer CS-R700's. In my opinion these are the best pioneers built. They are extremely well built and hold up like a tank. Not to mention the sound is very well balanced and smooth for horns. The lows are very solid but could go a little lower in response. Thanks again for the post.
    Jon Fox
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If you have certain older model tweeters, the new ones will require mods to fit.

Can you identify which tweeters you have from the post with various tweeters? Either you have different tweeters or one with the dome ripped off which would reveal a black felt pad.

Take a look at "1984 Original Monitor 7/10 Brochure" on one of our members website - http://polksda.com/srsad.shtml
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Welcome to CP and nice find!

Nice Link Polk65
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • foxhounds2
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I was at work last night when I posted. Now that I am home it appears that the black tweeter is a peerless. It doesn't have any writing on the faceplate. The oither one is original with a transparent dome and the black pad behind it. It says Polk Audio on the faceplate. I like the sound of the Polk better, more detailed. So am I in for a treat when I install the newest version of tweeters? It appears that I will have to swap some values around on the crossovers also. No biggy, Thats the kind of thing I do for a living. I appreciate the warm welcome to the club and thank each of you for your generosity. How do I go about getting the latest version of the tweeters? Just contact Polk directly? Thanks again. I love the sound of these speakers. I noticed that the sales brochure listed the box resonance frequency at 20hz. I changed out 4 caps in my active equalizer to adjust the frequency to 20hz. WOW!!! Talking about some tight solid bass. I will have to be careful though not to drive them too hard with the added boost at this frequency.
    Jon Fox
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    Options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25377&highlight=identifying+tweeter

Check this link out. You have an original SL1000 tweeter in the one speaker. The SL2000 had parallel leads, where as the 1000 has the diagonal ones.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • foxhounds2
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I think I like the sound of the SL1000 over the peerless. I have a touch of upper frequency hearing loss and the 1000's seem more crisp to me. I noticed the SL1000's are listed on the replacement parts page. Are they available? I would be happy to leave them original and just replace the one tweeter with another used one, or replace both with new ones.
    Jon Fox
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited March 2007
    Options
    foxhounds2 wrote:
    I think I like the sound of the SL1000 over the peerless. I have a touch of upper frequency hearing loss and the 1000's seem more crisp to me. I noticed the SL1000's are listed on the replacement parts page. Are they available? I would be happy to leave them original and just replace the one tweeter with another used one, or replace both with new ones.

No the "original" tweeters used are no longer available (peerless, sl1000, sl2000, sl2500, sl3000)

Polk provides replacement tweeters with the same electrical characteristics as the originals.

RD0-194 replaces all but the sl3000
    RD0-198 replaces the sl3000.

You need the RD0-194's as no Monitor 10 came with the sl3000 as a stock part.

It seems you have mis-matched tweeters. Either one was replaced or you have a mis-matched (generation or series) pair of Monitor 10's. If you in fact have a peerless a small amount of fabrication via a dremel is needed to get the new RD0-194 to fit flush in the opening. I laso believe there is an extra resistor or cap in the x-over check the Trouble shooting forum for a schematic of different generation Monitor 10's so the x-over can be modified if needed.

One other option, since you seem to like the sl2000 tweet because of your hearing loss, is to purchase a used one from someone here. It just so happens I have an extra one enroute that I'd be willing to sell on the cheap to help you out if that is what you choose.

Hope this helps

H9

P.s. I don't believe you have an sl1000...the bezel would be silver vs. black.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Nice find for $40.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • foxhounds2
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hey Heiney9, I think the one tweeter is a 1000. The bezel is silver. I will pull it out this morning when I get home from work and check to see if it has a sticker or number. If it is a 2000 I would appreciate your offer on the one you have coming. I want to keep them both the same sonics wise. I really enjoy these speakers. I just can't get over how the combination of the Polks and Pioneers sound. Switching between the two the Polks have better bass and balance, but the Pioneers have much better midrange. Hard to believe, but true. The Pioneers have a folded horn for the midrange. I can't wait to recap the crossovers on the Pioneers. They are original from 1972. All electrolytic. I will use some Jantzens or something simular. That should open them up even more. However; the two pair together are simply breath taking. You can close your eyes and think you are listening to a live performance.
    Jon Fox
  • foxhounds2
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Yeah the one tweeter is a SL1000 and the other one doesn't have any writing or sticker on it. I will post some pictures soon.
    Jon Fox