SDA-2's

mfalesch
mfalesch Posts: 8
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Am I the only guy on the planet that thinks SDA-2's are a little harsh (bright) in the mid's?

Let me explain...........when I purchased them they sounded wonderful in the store. At home I was running a Marantz integrated amp with spearate bass-midrange-treble controls.......still sounded wonderful, but lacked power.

So, I picked up a Crown PSA-2 power amp (350W per) and a Crown Straight Line Two pre-amp (with only bass & treble controls)and some big wire. Result.......lotsa mid's!

So, in time, I picked up a Audio Controls EQ to "cut the mid's".

Am I goofy - or just deaf?:confused:
Trane & Miles, Wolfgang & Gustav on:

Polk SDA-2's & PSW650
Amps: Crown PSA-2 & Straight Line Two
Sony CD
TTable:Thorens TD125 MKII, SME arm Shure V15 Type III
Post edited by mfalesch on

Comments

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    What freqs are you referring to when you say "mids"? According to most of the reviews I've ever read, most speakers are a bit forward in the lower mids, especially in the vocal range (about 400-800 Hz?).
    I've had my SDA-2As for so long I'm way used to them. Overall, I feel like they're a pretty accurate speaker. Their main weakness, to me, is in the bottom. The bass is fairly strong, but not especially tight.
    If you want to hear harsh mids, go listen to some Klipsch speakers. You'll come home feeling a lot better about your SDAs.
  • tony c.
    tony c. Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    I'm not familiar with the crown amp you are using now, but there is a big difference in sound between different amps. So perhaps that amp is increasing the midrange harshness and not quite as accurate as the marantz amp. I have been using an adcom 555 amp with my SDA 2's and they sound very nice in the midrange. There is one thing that I've noticed is that Polk speakers are sensitive to amplifier quality. If you have a mediocare amp you'll know it but, if you have a good clean accurate amp you will love it.:)
  • mfalesch
    edited January 2003
    Thanks, folks. Yes, the mids I refer to would be in the 400-900 range, I guess.

The Crown amps were considered to be "high-end" when I bought them in the early 80's. They sounded great in the store, but I don't recall the speaker selection available for my evaluation. At the time I recall listening to McIntosh, Carver, Adcom, Hafler and Crown. Crown withdrew from the "consumer/home" audio market in the mid-80's and continues to make high-quality professional components. My selection was based on listening at the store (not thru SDA-2's unfortunately) and my brother's experience with Crown for many years prior. He had a "M&K" speaker system that was very nice with his Crown amps.

Even when I play a Telarc classical recording (typically quite accurate) "flat" the strings will come across pretty harshly unless I "EQ".

I'm certainly no audiophile, and I accept that certain amps sound differently. Is this usually the case at the preamp level or the power amp level?

For now, I will likely continue to "EQ" but I'm giving some thought to adding a subwoofer. I have a pretty small room right now - was thinking about a PSW450............what do you think?:lol:

Polk SDA-2's & PSW650
    Sony CD
  • mfalesch
    edited January 2003
    Hey "abmarsh":

Whilst reading the "Whatcha Got" thread (2 Channel Audio) I think I noticed that you (was it you?) are running an Audio Controls EQ with your SDA-2's. This is what I resorted to after upgrading my amps.

I'm interested to know if you tend to cut your mid's too?

I guess all of my wonderment here is moot. I'm just trying to see whether or not my ears need re-calibrating! I don't know many who take audio equipment (or music for that matter!) very seriously, so I'm looking for a sounding (pun, sorry) board here.

Thanks.......

Polk SDA-2's & PSW650
    Sony CD
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    I haven't had it hooked up since I bought the new receiver, but I intend to break it out this weekend. I drop the high mid-range a little, keeping any adjustments to no more than around 3dB. (I'm not at home now and don't remember the freqs., but it's the 3rd, 4th, and 5th freqs. from the right.)

I don't think the final answer is about re-calibrating your ears. If it sounds harsh/bright to you, then it is.

I recommend you tweak it to your liking and rock on!
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited January 2003
    I have a pair of Klipsch KLF-30s, come listen to them for a while the listen to yours and you will think your speakers have no mids at all. These things have major ear bleed. I had to put cotton in the horns to tame then down.