What is the difference between M5 & M5jr

Options
engtaz
engtaz Posts: 7,652
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
What is the difference between Monitor 5 & Monitor 5jr?

Thanks,
engtaz
engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
Post edited by engtaz on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2007
    Options
    The most obvious differences is/are size of the cabinets and the Monitor 5 has an 8" passive radiator and the Monitor 5jr has a @ 6 1/2" passive radiator. There may be some differences in the crossover also.

Both are excellent speakers for there size and relative used market cost/value.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    Options
    the smaller 5jr's had a port instead of a passive radiator. The 5jr+ had the passive radiator described above.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • riglehart
    riglehart Posts: 276
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I had a pair of 5's for a long time. The 5jr are amazing FOR THEIR SIZE. They lack the deep bass the 5's have with bigger passives. Top end is very good, though. Nothing a sub wouldn't fix.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
    Standard equip not worth bragging about.
  • specialidiot
    specialidiot Posts: 44
    edited March 2007
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    the smaller 5jr's had a port instead of a passive radiator. The 5jr+ had the passive radiator described above.

Not all 5jr's have ports, mine don't.
    Kitchen: NAD 7220PE, Polk Mini-Monitor
    Home Office:Bottlehead S.E.X, Fostex FE127E in custom enclosures, Grado SR80
    Polks: 7B, Mini Monitor
    Mancave: Yamaha B-2, C-2a, CD-2, T-1, Bottlehead FP3, Thorens TD165c
    Project:KLH 17 Rebuild
    Ruined by DHL: Ming Da MC84-b (modded)
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    Options
    5 and 5 jrs do not have port they have passives. 4.6s have ports no radiator 5s have a 8 inch passive and the 5 jrs have a 6.5 inch. you have a set of missmarked 4.6 its sounds like,
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Whelp, all I can tell ya is it said 5jr on the back, and had a port on the front :p

Polk was rather ambiguous when it came to their naming back then. Sometimes I think it came down to what stickers they had left.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • specialidiot
    edited March 2007
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    Whelp, all I can tell ya is it said 5jr on the back, and had a port on the front

Well I think they could be 5jr's. Just for grins, call in to Polk CS with the speaks next to you. I'd bet they'd enjoy figuring it out.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Yours arent the only ones they called 5 jrs I have seen another set that was the same way. But the models are as I stated.

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • specialidiot
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Yours arent the only ones they called 5 jrs I have seen another set that was the same way. But the models are as I stated.

Just Sayin'

I see lots of Polk 5Jr's listed on ebay that have ports, here's a picture right from a recently completed auction here:

9928_1.JPG

I watch ebay auctions for Polk monitors pretty much constantly. About half of the 5Jr's listed have ports. Maybe they are mislabeled, but that's a lot of them.

Maybe we can get someone from Polk to chime in.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    See now thats the model I understand to be 4.6s hey F1NUT come on help us out here.

• riglehart
    riglehart Posts: 276
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Here's the one I know as a 5jr...
    5jr.jpg 25.3K
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
    Standard equip not worth bragging about.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Here is what I know as the Monitor 5.

I do not know if they are A or B's. Mark may know.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D