BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    I wonder if Mantis and liv4fam are going to lose thier spots on the Board of Directors ??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited March 2007
    The article says it is closing all of its stores in TN. Maybe I can snag some deals? I wonder if that includes the "HiFi Buys" Store on Nolensville Rd. I think that it is owned by Tweeter. I'll have to stop by there and see what I can find out.

Robert
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2007
    The article says it is closing all of its stores in TN. Maybe I can snag some deals? I wonder if that includes the "HiFi Buys" Store on Nolensville Rd. I think that it is owned by Tweeter. I'll have to stop by there and see what I can find out.

Robert

Let me know what you find out. There is also a Tweeter on West End and one in Franklin. I would love to get some hot deals on new stuff.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    Since the chain itself isn't closing I have a feeling there won't be too many good deals. They will probably just shift merchandise from the closing store to the nearest non-closing store.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Awesome! Thank God the bought out one of the longest standing, best hi fi shops in Dallas, Hillcrest Hifi. I bet those will be the first to go.

Oustanding. :rolleyes:
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited March 2007
    Speaking of Mantis, Is he still around? I don't think I've seen him post in a while.

Robert
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2007
    Usually these store closings result in good deals on the floor models, but otherwise, the just move the stock around.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    edited March 2007
    "There is a market for a kind of ultra high-end consumer. They (Tweeter) are selling a niche product at high prices to a limited, more aware audience,"

Funny, I never thought of them as the ultra high-end consumer type of audio store.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Awesome! Thank God the bought out one of the longest standing, best hi fi shops in Dallas, Hillcrest Hifi. I bet those will be the first to go.

Oustanding. :rolleyes:

They bought out Bryn Mawr Stereo (good mid-fi to highend shop) many moons ago . . . thems where I purchased my first Polks the SDA/SRSs and the NADs to power them.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2007
    They also bought out Now! Audio Video around here. Great people, good products, great service.

I miss them.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited March 2007
    They never caught on to the changing market. CompUSA tried a lame entry
    into HT and let their pc business lapse. They got killed on one side by
    Best Buy, and Fry's from the other.
    Tweeter never really set up to demo/handle the better stuff. The
    lower end stuff was always cheaper somewhere else. These two
    things killed them. I tried M/L speakers in one store, and their amp was unable to drive them well.
    Forget about the LSI's, the receivers they used had no airflow around them and would go
    into protection with any volume.
    I think anyone left in higher end audio is struggling. The big dollar buyers
    are rare now, and often guys demo the good stuff there, and buy online.
    I have tried to buy locally when possible by watching for good deals, trade ins, and demo clearances.
    If it goes all online, good luck. It will be a crap shoot.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    Well, there goes the LSi dealers in the Mid South. Another classic example of a big chain buying up some local and regional stores....then **** it up! HiFi Buys and NOW Audio/Video were decent stores with good product lines before Tweeter bought them. **** Tweeter...I'll never spend another penny in one of their stores.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2007
    Interesting. Around here it is Sound Advice that has been going into lower end products. They have very few if any seperates anymore. Which will bring their speakers lines lower. As they are doing this, it seems that Best Buy is killing them. The only thing SA has is a larger tv selection, but not by much.
    V
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    Never shopped at Tweeter, but is it Tweeter's fault some of the mom and pop audio shops closed up shop because the owner that chose to sell to them? :confused:

There's a couple small high end audio and video stores up here that manage to make a mint in their little corner of the market. They've found a niche that Circuit City, Best Buy, and Tweeter can't offer. The biggest ones are good customer service and a knowledgeable sales staff.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited March 2007
    Interesting that Tweeter did buy out their smaller competition in some areas, good for them.

The problem in the industry is margins. The big boxes are now paying for their killer instinct. In the end, Walmart will be the only one left standing. That actually could be good news for the Mom and Pop shops in that would have opportunity to carry mid and hi fi gear under the radar of Walmart.

However, the audio model is changing to direct sales with 30-60 day in home trials. the next ten years is going to be quite interesting.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2007
    Wow, just looked through my system and the last thing I bought in a brick and mortar store was my XBR (employee discount) which was February 2006. Before that was my Cinenova (friend who is a dealer) in July 2004. The only thing I have bought without big discounts in a store was my dvd player, back in my beginnings of HT in June 2003. Back then it was a Yamaha rcvr and JBL speakers.

I think Tweeter's biggest issue is they have their high and mighty attitude and they won't budge on price. I went in there with $2000 looking to buy a B&K Ref 50 once, but the guy wouldn't even give my 5% off so I walked. They say they will price match but the ones around us won't. Hell I worked at a CC across the street from a Tweeter, had a customer try to price match a Samsung DLP and they refused, forgot the reason but the guy walked right back over and bought it from me.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2007
    Wonder how to figure out which stores are closing so I can ravage their floor items. Wouldn't mind grabbing a couple LSi products, maybe some Focals, hell even ML would be nice if the price is right.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2007
    AndyGwis wrote:
    Wonder how to figure out which stores are closing so I can ravage their floor items. Wouldn't mind grabbing a couple LSi products, maybe some Focals, hell even ML would be nice if the price is right.

The store in Southlake still has a Krell integrated on display!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited March 2007
    The Tweeter close to where I used to live had some of the worst demo rooms I have ever seen. Employees were a bunch of dopes too.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited March 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    They also bought out Now! Audio Video around here. Great people, good products, great service.

I miss them.

If you get to missing them too much just walk in Elite Audio Video, they are still around. I still buy from the same guy who sold me my SDAs 21 years ago
    Bart Near.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    The store in Southlake still has a Krell integrated on display!

Really? If I sell some of my other gear, I'm gonna go try to buy that **** on the cheap! Which model (300, 400)?

You know you want the matching Pro-10mc to go along with your ST-202, Keith! I've been wanting to unload all my ear to get a good integrated for a while, simplify things a bit.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • iworkfortweeter
    iworkfortweeter Posts: 53
    edited March 2007
    i think its hilarious. most of the reason for the closings is things that everyone already knows about, but fails to do anything about. we were on conference call from 1 to 4 pm today and rumor has it, that we may file for chapter 11. but even if we do, we'll still be in business. man, whatever though, lol you know?
    i doubt there will be any sort of "sale" though. we'll probably just move product around to different stores in other regions. and for the record, salespeople ARE a bunch of dopes. its the installers who know their ****.
    currently in car:
    '00 Honda Accord LX V6
    AEM V2 cold air induction
    c400.4 amp powering a pair of momo 6500's
    and a pair of momo 6x9's
    alpine monoblock amp powering a jl w3 12''
    custom fab work for tweeters
    jl rca's, dist block and power/grounds
    alpine cda 9857 head
    three ground loop isolators
    ipod integration, all songs at 320kbs
  • iworkfortweeter
    edited March 2007
    also for the record id like to say that yes, the prices are rediculous, even with the advertised "price match" thing going on. the problem with places like Worst Buy and Circuit **** is that they have thousands of dollars to throw around for advertising and pure buying power that Tweeter just doesn't. We pride ourselves in the installation. its always been that way. no other company installs **** as well cleanly and professionally as we do. its The fact that we tried to actually BE a Worst Buy, was in fact part of the downfall of the company.
    currently in car:
    '00 Honda Accord LX V6
    and a pair of momo 6x9's
    alpine cda 9857 head
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2007
    AndyGwis wrote:
    Really? If I sell some of my other gear, I'm gonna go try to buy that **** on the cheap! Which model (300, 400)?

You know you want the matching Pro-10mc to go along with your ST-202, Keith! I've been wanting to unload all my ear to get a good integrated for a while, simplify things a bit.

I believe it was a 300. As always, you might want to call them and check.
    With this announcement, the vultures are circling already. I bet several
    Polkies have already been to Tweeter marking their territorial bounderies.

I did sell the Snell E's today, but the Mrs. snagged that money as soon as it
    was presented. For right now, no new purchases for a while.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited March 2007
    Ive been to Tweeter one time.

I left highly unimpressed.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2007
    I'm always glad to see more big box stores close up and go away. It was nice when Ultimate shut all their stores down in Texas. That was a hoot! I think they just look at different markets that are dragging them down. Same goes with BB, CC, etc. They shut one down and pop a couple more up in some other stupid market. Maybe things like this will help the mom and pops to stay around longer...being that most of them know their stuff better.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • iworkfortweeter
    edited March 2007
    ive been to best buy's magnolia, and left highly unimpressed.
    currently in car:
    '00 Honda Accord LX V6
    and a pair of momo 6x9's
    alpine cda 9857 head
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    I wonder if Mantis and liv4fam are going to lose thier spots on the Board of Directors ??

BDT
    Just can't help yourself can you??? :rolleyes:

Just to bust your bubble, Liv4fam opened his own bussiness and moved to AZ. He is doing extremely well for himself. I on the other hand still STILL work for Tweeter and I'm doing very well myself, thanks for asking:rolleyes:
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    ive been to best buy's magnolia, and left highly unimpressed.

Hey homer. Except for the fact they don't carry the LSi series....it is every bit as good as Tweeter...if not better.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    mantis wrote:
    Just can't help yourself can you??? :rolleyes:

Just to bust your bubble, Liv4fam opened his own bussiness and moved to AZ. He is doing extremely well for himself. I on the other hand still STILL work for Tweeter and I'm doing very well myself, thanks for asking:rolleyes:

Glad to hear it.....

I still think Tweeter blows.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut