Mono vs stereo DVC subs

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited January 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
How many would prefer one over the other. A mono sub with single amp channel vs a dual voice coil sub with two channels, one driving each coil? Is one better quality than the other?
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    IMHO for a 2 ch. (analog rig) DVC is the way to go. It seems better to have a separate voice-coil for each channel than to combine the 2. Separate single VC subs would be the optimul answer.

Are you thinking about building a sub? What kind? What drivers are you considering? 3 brands come to mind for consideration. Shiva, Adire, & Peerless. I've also heard great things about Dayton, but for the price it seems too good to be true.

If you're building one, think of what you want from it. From there decide on the best enclosure style (tri-folded horn, transmission line, sealed, bandpass, etc) for your wants, woodworking skills, room allocation (how big can it be), etc. Find a driver that best fits your needs from there.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2003
    I have a Dayton but no box yet. Maybe a passive radiator. It will be awhile though.
    Thanks!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    edited January 2003
    I too have a Dayton w/o box. Except for the shipping box that is. I got the Titanic MKII 10002 (10") for Christmas.

It has a single VC and has specs that preclude it from being suited for a transmision line enclosure, but I think I'll build a nice vented tube for it. I don't have an amp yet. In the mean time I've been wanting to bridge my Carver for something and this seems like a good opportunity. I'll probably use my EQ between the pre and amp for a volume control.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by gidrah
    3 brands come to mind for consideration. Shiva, Adire, & Peerless. I've also heard great things about Dayton, but for the price it seems too good to be true.

Just an FYI... Shiva is the name of a specific driver made by Adire.. the two are NOT separate companies/offerings. Adire makes other drivers, as well.
  • gidrah
    edited January 2003
    Duh! Well that explains things. Thanks.