Need advice

Options
Sherri
Sherri Posts: 8
edited January 2003 in Speakers
My uncle gave me a new pair of lsi9s for Christmas. He has told me he would make me a real good deal on his used Denon 4802. Would this work good with my new speakers? My uncle says it would be a good start to the home theater that I want to have. I can not always understand what he is saying when he talks about sound equipment and he is very busy right now trying to sell cars. That is why I am here asking for help. Since I live alone, I think I would enjoy a home theater to help pass the time. I just do not know much about these things. My ex boyfriend, (he still calls begging to get back with me), says I should trade the Polk speakers in for a Yamaha receiver and then buy some Klipch speakers like he has. I need advice please.
Sherri
Post edited by Sherri on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2002
    Options
    yes, the 4802 is definitely a great starting point to drive LSi9 with ample of reserve current.....it is a sweet deal from your uncle. Do NOT listen to your ex....save some money to get the matching LSiC and LSiFX down the road, and perhaps a Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai for CD/DVD/SACD, you're set to enjoy a REALLY nice HT system.

Happy New Year! polkatese
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    Options
    No wonder he is an ex boyfriend......

Keep the Denon, keep the LSi's. Excellent start for a Home Theater. I would suggest getting some decent stands for the speakers and you are on your way.

Eventually, you can add on the sub, center and rears as time and cash permits as well as maybe some power amps.

Obviously, whatever sounds best to you is what's important but personally, I'd stay away from the Yammie/Klipsch thing.

Happy New Year and so forth and welcome to the forum.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited December 2002
    Options
    hi sherri, wecome to the forum,

the lsi- 9 are a real good speaker cant go worng with them, keep them, no matter what.
    the denon 4300 is not bad at all it will go good with the 9s.
    i think that you are in on the good stuff, you are lucky to start out this good, most people would pay a lot more and have less.

and happy new yr.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Options
    OK guys - we have a WOMAN in the forum. Finally. I for one would like her to stick around. So as a New Year's resolution, let's try to maintain at least SOME semblance of decency in the Off Topic discussion forum. We can do it - I have faith....

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Yammie w/Kilpsch......can you say ear bleed!
    You seem to have better taste than your ex, keep moving on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    OK guys - we have a WOMAN in the forum. Finally. I for one would like her to stick around. So as a New Year's resolution, let's try to maintain at least SOME semblance of decency in the Off Topic discussion forum. We can do it - I have faith....

Doc

Faith in us clowns? pffffffffffft. whatever Doc. You been into the sauce already?

Having said that, it would be nice to have a woman participate.

BDT
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Yammie w/Kilpsch......can you say ear bleed!

I agree,
    What do you get when you put a bright Speaker with a Bright Receiver? Tada - REALLY BRIGHT sound! LOL!
    overall, i agree with f1, Polk and Denon go together real well
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

You have a mighty nice uncle. Aren't we related? HaHa! I think the Denon would go well with your new speakers. Maybe not the best, but the best you're gonna get for the money, especially considering the good deal he'll give you.

As far as Klipsch & Yamaha, .... well. Polk and Klipsch have a VERY different sound to them. Klipsch have a much "brighter" sound (ie. high treble). While I love the sense of realism of a good horn, most Klipsch just make me want to listen to other horns or my Polks. It's up to you to decide. Both systems are good. Which one is best for you is for your ears only.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    sherri,
    I once owned Denon and Lsi together.Your Denon avr4802 is fine.Denon isn't the first receiver of choice running 4 ohm load speakers.Depending of THE DEAL,you could look into the Rotel rsx1055.it goes for around 1200.00.It is ready for 4 ohm loads and will sound alot better then the Denon.In My opnion anyway.If you can get into the Denon under a grand,well it's something to think about.
    Good luck Sherri.....let us know how you make out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'd say before trying to overload her with a bunch of jargon and goobledy-**** and suggest what WE think she should get, let's help her work with what she has. Let's not get the cart before the horse.

Consider that she is brand new to the hobby and that her uncle is going to probably, for all intents and purposes, give away the Denon. For now, let's just go with that. Baby steps. The Denon will handle a 4ohm load just fine for now.

Get the receiver, get the LSi9's on some decent stands. Get it all hooked up. See if you are really interested in getting into the hobby and so forth.

I would also recommend reading the Polk Home Theater Handbook: http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/hthandbook.php

There is a lot of good info in there. Posting questions here can be a bit confusing because you will get a lot of different opinons and without a basic understanding of what we are talking about, can do more harm than good. Don't take it as an insult to your intelligence, but this is what I experienced when I got into the home theater craze.

BDT
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hi Sherri,

Welcome to the forum. One thing we all seem to agree on is Polk speakers. After that, well you'll see! Anyway, I think you have a good start. Keep asking questions I promise you'll end up with a real nice system.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sherri,
    I totally agree weth polkatese. i could not have said it better my self.
    Welcome to the forum,it it a wonderful place to start-(smart girl) Yes it is a great match and any lsi ia a mark of excellent design, and a lot of years of technology and expierence has been put into them..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • Sherri
    Sherri Posts: 8
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I really appreciate all the advice and the warm welcome. Troyd. Thank you for pointing me towards the Polk Home Theater Handbook. Dr Spec. Thank you for trying to watch out for me here and on the other off topic thread. It was a good try but I don't think those guys are going to clean up their act any time soon. I understand why you thought I would be gone in a week, but I think I will last longer. Mantis, you said if I could get the Denon for under a grand I should take it. He was asking $800 to $1000. I think I can get a 1/2 off for favorite niece discount, so looks like that is what I will do.
    By the way. My ex boyfriend is going to stay that way. I know I can do better
    Thanks again to everyone. Sherri.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Gotta love those 'family' discounts. Bag it and don't look back.

You are off to a great start.

BDT
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree with Troy here...family discounts are a big PLUS.... you can't go wrong (well you can if you're not careful) but this sounds like a pretty good deal. My home stereo hobby started off with me buying some stuff off of my older brother. He hates to sell his stuff off to a stranger (there are a lot of good college memories that go with DJ'ing frat parties in the dorm...) The next obvious question here will be what cables to use to hook everything up. This is always a hotly debated arguement. Don't go cheap on the speaker wire (the fatter the better, much like the "other" off topic conversation) however unlike the "other" off topic discussion, the shorter the better when you're talking about wire runs especially with low impedance speakers. As for the interconnects between your equipment, some folks will spend hundreds of dollars for two wires that are 3 feet long. Others will go to Radio Shack and pick up the bargin bin special. I'm not saying either one is right, but there is a "median" that you can find between cheap and expensive cables, you just have to let your ears be the judge. If it sounds good to you, then who the hell else cares?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    eff brands, go to HD, get wire, 12 guage 33 cent a foot????? man it sounds like sound to me...so it must sound good!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You've got the start of a way above average system and at a good price, too.

BTW, I still have a Denon receiver I bought in 1988 and the Polk Audio speakers I bought in 1987. Good stuff!