SDA SRS 1.2TL help need more bass

Options
adcom565
adcom565 Posts: 13
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I bought these used a couple of years ago, I had wanted a set of these since the first SDA SRS. I feel the bass is a little on the week side. The sound of the speakers has not changed since I got them. They appear to be in good condition, but when I compare the bass out of my RT3000p they are not close to that level. So is this normal or do I need more power. This my setup: Sunfire Grand 3 Preamp, Adcom 565's (300 W Mono)run the 1.2tl, Adcom 555(200W) runs the RT3000, Adcom 2535 (200 W Mono Bridged)runs the CS400 center, I have a pair of 6.5 for my Rear Rears ran by a ADCOM 545(100w).Monster Power center 3500, and a Sony 999ES DVD. The tone controls are set to 0, once in a while I may move it to plus 1 on bass. I was thinking that with all of those drivers in the 1.2TL I would expect more bass. Maybe 300W in each speaker is not enough. Do I need to go to the next level and add more power. I do have the A-1 connectorl. I am using Monster M wire( almost an inch thick) I am Bi-wiring the highs and lows with the M wire from the 4 posts on the back of the Adcom 565's. I am using X-Terminater connectors. I also installed a dedicated electrical run and a 20 AMP breaker for the stereo. I am getting close to 120V most of the time sometimes 115V. I know my amps are good, I have switched them around to check. If I push these speakers at a very loud level they start sounding better, but them I reach some limit on the mid bass drivers and hear a popping sound, so I turned it down. The distortion lights on the amp did not go off and the sound seemed very crip and clear at that point as well. However I have never heard a popping sound come form the RT3000p. So anyway, what can do to increase the bass or is that normal? Oh by the way, my living room stereo also has a Polk and Adcom 2 channel setup Love these two brands.
Post edited by adcom565 on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the forum; great setups you have there.

How far from the back wall do you have them? 5-10" will provide the best lows.
    Something that many of us here have noticed is that changing the crossover capacitors for better quality (and newer) greatly improves the bass response. Use the search and you'll find plenty of threads on the subject.

Good luck.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • adcom565
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Wow, quick response, I believe the speakers are 12 inchs or more away from the back wall, I will move them closer. I also have them sitting on Marble slabs instead of the carpet. I was told when I bought them that this will help them sound better then on carpet. Changing capacitors sound like it maybe a little hard for me to do, but maybe it is not that bad. I appeciate your fast response on this.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If the mid drivers are popping, your amps are not very good at controlling the drivers or the mid drivers have been overdriven and are damaged.

It's also possible that you're comparing exaggerated (un-natural) bass from the RT3000p's vs clean, tight and natural bass from the SDA's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    Options
    popping sounds is not good for the drivers... and tells me something is wrong there. this isn't unheard of to have the drivers pop like that.. but it's not real common either.

If i were you.. i'd un biwire them and see what happens.. i've never had my mid bass drivers pop on me.. so I can't say what causes it.. but something in your system is causing the drivers to do that. your amp power seems to be plenty..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Do you have the A1 interconnect cable between the 2 speakers? I see you are running mono's for your mains. I have the SDA-SRS running the lows with an adcom GFA-585 and the whole 1800sf warehouse I'm in is rattling. If you push on the passive radiator do all the woofer slowly return to there Idle positions? I was electronically crossing over the lows skipping the the internal crossovers. The bass was definitely much better. I just ordered new caps, and resistors that should be in soon. I will post Monday or Tuesday night with results. Is it just one driver that is popping?
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I agree with F1. The 3000P's are powered and probably up way to high. Do you have a sound pressure meter? Have you calibrated with test tones? I have the 3000P's and it is very easy to crank the bass on them. If you like that much bass, add a subwoofer.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the Club, I like your screen name. I have two Adcom 565 mono blocks powering my 1.2TLs. I don't need to use the AI-1 interconnect because I have the 565s strapped together i.e. the negative speaker terminals of each mono block connected together and then the chasis of each mono block also connected together.

I can tell you this, I have more than enough bass. It shakes the room and is very tight and present. My 1.2TLs are over 12" away from the back wall and I still get plenty of bass. I just recently bi-amped them using the 565 on the lows and a Parasound HCA 1000 on the highs and the bass is even more present, tight, and goes way down into the subsonic cause I feel it in my chest and anything in the room vibrates.

If you have a popping sound you have effectively overdriven the drivers and probably damaged them. There was probably some distortion coming from the source or the preamp or amp couldn't handle the signal from the source ala Telarc 1812 Overature cannons. I've blown mid & tweeter driver in a pair of SRSs in the past pushing them too hard with the above mentioned recording.
  • adcom565
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I would like to mention the popping sound is only when I push them hard, although I don't hear the distortion prior to that. Normally when you play an amp you can start hearing the stage where it is giving out or loosing control. I do have the A-1 connector between them. The song I was using is the Eagles Hotel California. I can get all of the drivers to move in and out. Normally they kind of hit the bass note and then they almost have the after shock affect and and flutter a little. The overall sound I am hearing is more midrange sound. It almost appears that the midrange is boosted up 1 or 2 vs the Treble and Bass. Don't get me wrong there is bass and treble maybe not at the level coming from the 3000's. However a few of you say you get a lot of bass. I can't tell which driver is causing the popping sound. When I push on the Passive Radiator it does move the other drivers out. No popping sound heard when I did that. If I would add another amp and seperating driving my highs and lows would that be overkill. How is that split then which drivers get the highs and which get the lows. I do not have a pressure meter to check that. It is like I am so close to get these to really wake up, but then it pops. It would be like the old 2 channel preamps the volume leve on 11 o' clock will you know you can go to at least 12 or 1 o'clock. But the bass is turned to a negative 2 or 3. Would I get deeper bass by unplugging the A-1 and use a stereo amp instead? What other things can a check. Either way I do not want to change out these speakers since I fought to get. Maybe the drivers are weak and need to do a rebuild. Can you still get those same drivers? How much do they cost each? Thanks so much for your posting so far.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    adcom565 wrote:
    I would like to mention the popping sound is only when I push them hard, although I don't hear the distortion prior to that. Normally when you play an amp you can start hearing the stage where it is giving out or loosing control. I do have the A-1 connector between them. The song I was using is the Eagles Hotel California. I can get all of the drivers to move in and out. Normally they kind of hit the bass note and then they almost have the after shock affect and and flutter a little. The overall sound I am hearing is more midrange sound. It almost appears that the midrange is boosted up 1 or 2 vs the Treble and Bass. Don't get me wrong there is bass and treble maybe not at the level coming from the 3000's. However a few of you say you get a lot of bass. I can't tell which driver is causing the popping sound. When I push on the Passive Radiator it does move the other drivers out. No popping sound heard when I did that. If I would add another amp and seperating driving my highs and lows would that be overkill. How is that split then which drivers get the highs and which get the lows. I do not have a pressure meter to check that. It is like I am so close to get these to really wake up, but then it pops. It would be like the old 2 channel preamps the volume leve on 11 o' clock will you know you can go to at least 12 or 1 o'clock. But the bass is turned to a negative 2 or 3. Would I get deeper bass by unplugging the A-1 and use a stereo amp instead? What other things can a check. Either way I do not want to change out these speakers since I fought to get. Maybe the drivers are weak and need to do a rebuild. Can you still get those same drivers? How much do they cost each? Thanks so much for your posting so far.

Wow I'm out of breath reading all this LOL. The first thing I would do is to determine if you blew your mid driver or any for that matter. Polk customer service is the finest on the planet and can help you determine that and help you to get a replacement.

As I said, you can strap the Adcom 565s together and that would eliminate the need for the AI-1 but there are some more experienced Polkers here who have experience with the AI-1 and say it causes no SQ problems.

I normally play CDs loud on my rig. I put the volume control to 10:00 and that is plenty loud. I've taken Queen's "Another One Bits The Dust" and set the volume control to 12:00 and the Adcoms and the 1.2TLs effortlessy reproduced it albeit it rattled my brain loose. So I would definetely think you may be able to do the same after finding which driver is popping and replacing it.

Get a baseline going, listen for a while, then decide if you want to bi-amp them. I just recently bi-amp'd mine and it is one the best moves I've done with this rig so far, definetely not overkill. . .I'll be starting a new thread on that in the next day or two.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I agree with Joe, get a baseline going...take it one step at a time.

The AI-1 is not your problem, so rule that out. All things known at this time point to damaged mid drivers and probably more than one.
    It would be like the old 2 channel preamps......

I hate to tell you this, but the new 2 channel pre amps are the same way. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ok Im running tfm-35s on mine bi-amped 500 wpc now, and have yet to reach a level close to popping from what I can tell , The bass is plenty I turn down my Velodyne 15 or off, because the 1.2's are banging out the bass just fine. I play my stuff plenty loud when wife is gone its gets really loud, Im guessing you have a mid driver or two that is on its way out the door. I typically run the bass on 2 or 4 on my denon 3300,

My ceilings are 17ft tall in a 25 by 17 ft room carpet on the floor. my 1.2's are about 8-10 inches from the wall
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    My ceilings are 17ft tall in a 25 by 17 ft room carpet on the floor. my 1.2's are about 8-10 inches from the wall

That's not a room that's an auditorium LOL:p
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    hehehe thats whats nice about being in the country plenty of ROOOOM, It has been entertaining to see that a house resonates at certain frequencies, the hall way pictures are always crooked, and the bass in the hallway is insane !!!

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    hehehe thats whats nice about being in the country plenty of ROOOOM, It has been entertaining to see that a house resonates at certain frequencies, the hall way pictures are always crooked, and the bass in the hallway is insane !!!
    I live in a warehouse/office36*80 (2800sf 8' ceilings) and my SDA-SRS's Make the keys and locks bounce off the walls in the front office at 400watts +150watts per channel:D
    No sub here:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Well I have to admit that one of the first things I did after hooking up my sda srs 1.2tls was to unhook the sub because when I cranked them up the sub couldndt keep up with the bass from the passive drivers. I could actually feel the floor joists moving under the couch. Anything that was loose was moving around lol. It was kind of like a mini earthquake in my living room I havent turned it up that loud since, but it had be in the 120 decibel range or so would be my guess. I do have a question though for someone. Exactly how low do they play flat to? I know the frequency response is 10hz to 26khz. But was curious at how low they went before losing steam. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • F1nut
    edited March 2007
    Options
    27Hz is the -3dB limit.

President of Club Polk

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited March 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    27Hz is the -3dB limit.
    Thank you F1nut. You are a wealth of knowledge. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ok Im running tfm-35s on mine bi-amped 500 wpc now, and have yet to reach a level close to popping from what I can tell , The bass is plenty I turn down my Velodyne 15 or off, because the 1.2's are banging out the bass just fine. I play my stuff plenty loud when wife is gone its gets really loud, Im guessing you have a mid driver or two that is on its way out the door. I typically run the bass on 2 or 4 on my denon 3300,

Your 1.2's are "special" ;)

And, with the Solen capacitors the bass did get a very noticeable improvement.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Yes they ARE ! So what are going after now I see you selling the Carvers and the 3.1's , Ok ok back on track with the tread .But he is having some kinda problem when drivers are popping, I know plenty of songs that can do this fairly easily like One from metallica the bass drum is very hard on speakers when its up loud, its sudden and very dramatic.

• hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I know plenty of songs that can do this fairly easily like One from metallica the bass drum is very hard on speakers when its up loud, its sudden and very dramatic.

I don't have any problem pushing the 1.2TLs with any recordings that I currently own. The one recording that will challenge any rig, source, pre, amps, speakers is the Telarc 1812 Overture LP or CD. The cannon blasts can fry a tweeter quicker than anything. I've not had a single problem placing my volume control at 11:00, which for CDs is very loud, and have the speaks play the cannon blasts with no popping or distortion. I had Dave and Lou here and they were impressed by that fact.

One thing that I definetely want to do soon is to upgrade/update my xovers. I find it hard to believe that the 1.2 TLs can get any better but going on the experience of many on this forum this is something I need to do.
  • adcom565
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Wow, you guys are awsome and filled with unlimited knowledge on these speakers, well, if some of you have so much bass that you had to turn down or turn off the sub, then I am missing something. I guess I have to find out if I have a blown driver or drivers. So of what I am hearing I should have plenty of juice to drive these with the Adcom monoblocks. There is then something that is stopping these speakers to deliver what they are made of. How much are the replacement drivers? Are they built as good as they where then or better now? Now I find out how to isolate the bad driver, my experience with woofers is they die and lock up, I am not sure these are doing that. So the bass from these should be as powerful as that of the RT3000's if they were working the way they should. Anyway you guys have been so helpful. I remember back in the old days my bother had a pair of Monitor 12's and it just had 2 drives and a passive radiator and it seemed to really sound good. We would crack them up until you can tell the amp was starting to give out and they sounded great, and that was not even close to the 1.2TL's in quality. Or maybe I had to high of expectations on these since I have wanted them since 1985. But now I feel I have some hope, my dream speakers have blown drivers or something that it is holding it back. So that is great news. Once again thanks for all your help so far.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Call Polk customer service 800-377-7655 they will help you get through this; the drivers they provide are new.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Patience young padawon you too will learn the ways of the FORCE ! and live in wonder when your 1.2's are playing correctly, Hey hearing Htrookie said with Solen caps the bass gets noticably better ,thats just gotta make you itching to do this....

• hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Patience young padawon you too will learn the ways of the FORCE ! and live in wonder when your 1.2's are playing correctly, Hey hearing Htrookie said with Solen caps the bass gets noticably better ,thats just gotta make you itching to do this....

Itching my behind,!!! everytime I take my baffles off to listen to music I salivate and drool over the crossover plate!!! LOL I sit there and dream about unscrewing the allen bolts and pulling the damned xovers out. It is quite a sick en ing, disgusting display LOL:D
  • adcom565
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help on this. I just ran into some unexpected car issues this weekend, so I need to hold off for awhile. But I will take a hard look at this as soon as I get a little extra cash. You guys are the best.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Best Club on the web friend.