Psw50

gonvar
gonvar Posts: 3
edited December 2002 in Troubleshooting
I have an old PSW50 Sub running in a home theater system. It begun making a rattle sound when the bass was cranked up.
I opened the subwoofer and found that the membrane that holds the cone to the metal chasis is unglued. :(
Does anyone know what type of glue do I need to use to fix it?
It seems to be in perfect shape except for this issue.
Thanks for your answers.
Post edited by gonvar on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Try some of this glue - it's NEW.:lol:
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    It is made by Polk also and is called epoxy reison kit #PSW404!!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    cant u give ne advice worth while, 50 cent tube of glue to 400 dollars is a huge difference...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Oh it is the child again that has nothing better to do. Have u any interest in GIRLS yet cause u act like one.
    Do your homework and go to bed!!!!!!!!

I'm sure gonver, see's the HUMOR. And thinks this is a fun site - ****. Now gonver is leaving the forum because a 13 YEAR OLD KID IS NOT GOING TO BED!!!!!!!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    my girl aint on, and i cant see her at skool - well we dont go back to skool till the 6th of january.
    what other dumb remarks did u make....let me see here
    im not gonna waste my time to even comment
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    Scott, if it was actually funny we might laugh, but he had a valid question.

Gonvar, go ahead and call Polk, I am sure they will have a answer for you.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Who else did not find any humor in this??????? Anyone!!!
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Scott, if it was actually funny we might laugh, but he had a valid question.
    What kind of glue do I use on my broken speaker??????
    Duh, call customer service. Nice , I am sure Polk has there own type of glue to sell.
    WE might laugh - u and the child. OK then.
  • gonvar
    edited December 2002
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Scottvamp: If I wanted to buy a new sub, I wouldn't have asked how to repair the old one. Thanks anyway and don't try to earn a living out of your jokes.

Regards
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Ooops! Welcome to "The Forum".
    Make it Funky! :)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Jesus.......everyone's got their panties in a wad. Scott made an upgrade joke.......nothing to gripe about.....

Good luck in gettin it fixed........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Scottvamp: If I wanted to buy a new sub, I wouldn't have asked how to repair the old one.
    Once again it was a JOKE. I would not suggest "glueing" subwoofer peices together. I would call Polk and get it fixed "properly".
    Buy glue that is made for what materials you are glueing together. Maybe Wal-Mart.
    *I was getting my Polk selling on man.*
    If buying a new subwoofer "offends" you -then you may have some issues.
    I try to make you laugh and I get thrashed on buy a "newbie".
    Holy $hit man!!!!!!!!
    Respect.
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    THANKS BRETTW22
    I HAVE BEEN GETTING KILLED ON THIS FORUM LATLEY.
    Been an active menber for two years now and some of these newbies are freaking out - disrespecting the site. :supermad:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Tell me about it Scott........already had it out with a lil brat on another post who's opinion of himself isn't something to be dealt with.......:rolleyes:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    I try to make you laugh and I get thrashed on buy a "newbie".

Try harder next time. Chocolate milk out the nose always does it for me.

Oh, and it's "by a "newbie" ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • gonvar
    edited December 2002
    Buying a new subwoofer doesn't ofend me, but I didn't need to go into a technical/troubleshooting forum to buy it. I was just wondering if I could get some help or if someone has come across a problem like this one before.
    What pisses me off is that the one I have is broken without any reason.
    I know that taking it to polk service will fix the problem, but I was thinking of a quicker way to fix it, since it doesn't look complicated to fix.

Thanks a lot anyway from a newbie
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2002
    gonvar,

The glue problem you're having is the result of age, all adhesives degrade over time. Keeping adhesives away from heat and sunlight will prolong their life, other than that there's not much you can do about it. I don't know what glue Polk uses, but I agree that you should contact them as using the right glue is important. In a lot of cases to achieve a good fresh bond you need to remove the old glue and lacquer thinner works well in most cases. Use it carefully on plastics and rubber as it will soften/dissolve them quickly. When applying new glue it's a good idea to mask off surrounding areas (blue painters tape works well) to prevent any problems from spills, etc.
    Let us know what Polk has to say, it's not a common problem and you've asked a good question.

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2002
    scott and brett,

Jeez guys.....chill out! :cool:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    Hey, the "kid" is cool. yeah you have to remember he's only 13 yrs old.. some of us acted much worse when we were his age.. me included. Yeah Mx can't spell worth a damn.. but then again. some of us adults can't spell either. and that's the real sad part.

I wish i had access to the knowledge that is here when I was 13 yrs old. but then again the internet didn't exist back then. so lay off the kid (Sid) for a bit.. he's welcome here as much as the next guy. He's only 13 yrs old, give him a little room. He's way ahead of most other 13 yr olds in terms of seeing the light.. when it comes to home theater/audio.

Now Mx go to bed. :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Try some of this glue - it's NEW.:lol:

Scott: I thought it was very funny. This is a fun forum, and the occasional good natured joke will never hurt anyone. It was CLEARLY a joke. Hell, Nascarmann was famous for his jokes, and Russ has scored some beauties recently too.

Gonvar, there are plenty of surround replacement and repair kits floating around the internet. If the surround has ripped away from the basket frame, it more than likely is starting to rot or lose integrity, and the surround itself should be replaced too.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Wow, I missed this one.

I think it was FUNNY Scott. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2002
    I think your all NUTS! Why do you think I'm still here??? I fit right IN! ;)

Its time for some DRINKEN!

Happy New Year Everyone. My best wishes to you and your families.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***