LSi speakers and receiver EQ settings

Jeffrey_B
Jeffrey_B Posts: 21
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I recently upgraded my speakers to LSi's (LSi9, LSiC, and LSiFX). On my Sony ES30 receiver, I have EQ adjustments for bass (100 - 500hz), mid (100 - 1000hz), and treble (1000 - 10000hz). Has anyone tried EQ'ing their LSi's and if so, what settings have you used (I would guess its really room-dependant). I generally do not use EQ but once in a while it comes in handy. Any help would be appreciated. JEFF
Post edited by Jeffrey_B on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,038
    edited December 2002
    Very room dependent. Not only dimensions, but also what's in it. There's also listener preference. Set it however you like. I've EQ'd quite a bit from time to time. What I liked to do is set it, listen for about 3 days. Write down the results and change it. Even if at first it seems to sound worse leave it for about 3 days. Write down the results, change again (or ask somebody else to). I've found myself going back to the initial settings saying, "What the F... was I thinking?".

Nice speakers and receiver. Heads up. People around here tend to think Polk (especially the 4 Ohm LSi) and Sony don't go well together. As long as you don't turn it up too much you shouldn't have a problem.

Most improtantly. Welcome to The Forum!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    i've read somewhere that you should not use a EQ in home theater... because it colors the sound.. i guess it could happen. I don't have an EQ in my system. for those of you that do... does the EQ affect all channels or just the fronts?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Jeffrey_B
    Jeffrey_B Posts: 21
    edited December 2002
    Thanks Gidrah - I was a bit concerned about the 4 ohm and more importantly, the 88 db sensitivity of the LSi's. The Sony has a 4/8 ohm switch so OK there... and even though the ES30 is 80w/channel, I have no problems even at modest volumes (I don't crank it up too often). And I'm glad to join the forum!

Danger Boy - I can only speak to my Sony ES30, but EG settings affect all 5 channels - for that sound field. So, for Cinema A, you can EQ, for Cinema B, for Autoformat, etc.. JEFF
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2002
    I had a eq once and it made everything sound not real, and yes i set this 15 ways from sunday. I don't care for them myself, wanna hear what it supposed to sound like..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp