I've got the fever for the flavor.....are these 7B's?

Options
Jonesy
Jonesy Posts: 189
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I've fallen for that vintage polk sound and am trying to hunt down a pair of 7's (I'm still cranking my duaghter's 5jr's while we wait for her reciever to arrive, and for me to finish her stands....which may take a while :D ) I ran across this. I'm pretty sure they are 7B's but the mid was obviously replaced (with what looks like a coaxial???) on the one speaker. After reading here of all the tweeter replacement going on I'm assuming you can still get replacement midrange drivers for these speakers? But is it really worth it at this price point? Would I be better off looking for pair that don't need work? Thanks.
Post edited by Jonesy on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Honestly...If I were not such a civil man, I would grusomely torture the person who did that to a such beautiful pair of vintage Polks.

If the xover hasnt been touched and the tweeters are still in working order, it is very easy to replace both mid drivers. 2 mw6503's direct from Polk should work perfectly.

So my answer is Yes, replacing the mids would be worth it if everything else is ok.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    jakelm wrote:
    If the xover hasnt been touched and the tweeters are still in working order, it is very easy to replace both mid drivers.

That's my concern as well. "no sound through anything but the tweeter" sounds like it could be trouble in the x-over department. If the mid was either blown or never hooked up (because whoever did it realized they're a freakin moron) I suppose the x-over could be ok still. But wouldn't you get something out of the passive radiator - or did that draw signal from the mid x-over.....or am I over-analyzing the situation :o
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Without a working mid-woof, you will get nothing out of the passive radiator. It is 100% passive and is energized by the mid-woof's motion.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Should've known that....thanks. So $120 + $85ish for replacement mids is not out of line for this model?
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I doubt the crossover is bad. The ghetto replacement mid probally blew because it can only handle about 10 watts at 4 ohms (cheap oem car speaker) If both tweets work, and you replace the spent woofer with the MW6502 then you should be in good shape. Can you pick them up?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I could pick them up being in fairly close proximity, but gas is going up and the Hemi is one thirsty ****. I'd spend close to $50 in gas round trip.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Jonesy wrote:
    I could pick them up being in fairly close proximity, but gas is going up and the Hemi is one thirsty ****. I'd spend close to $50 in gas round trip.
    Thats about what shipping cost, and I have many bad drivers here at my place from bad shipping expieriences. New MW = $48 shipped. MW 6500, 6502, and 6503 are all the same price. I am pretty sure all three have been in that same cabinet, but most likely MW6502.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben