Monitor 5 jr's.....WOW!

Options
Jonesy
Jonesy Posts: 189
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Allright, now I get it......this whole vintage Polk movement. :D

You may have gathered from another post that I'm putting together a system for my daughter that will consist of a pair of the above mentioned speakers and a freshly snipped Rotel RX-402 receiver, circa 1974, off ebay. The speakers were acquired gratis from a very good friend. Well the receiver isn't here yet so I thought I'd put them on my secondary rig just to see what we're dealing with.

HOLY BALLS :eek: I am very impressed. These sound nothing like the current polks I own, or anything like the first set I bought that got me into HT to begin with. Now to be fair my current Polk rig was put together on the cheap by design; R20's, R15's, Monitor 6's, usually on a Pioneer receiver until winter hits and my patio speaker amp (Rotel 971) comes to live downstairs until spring and pushes the R20's. The first set was purchased around 1994 was the Monitor 6 satellite/passive sub rig with the CS200 center channel and M3 surrounds. It was great for prologic!

But these 5jr's on the Rotel 971 (70w) are a whole different animal! I'm getting resolution and dynamic range that is very close to my beloved B&W 604s3 and Rotel 991 setup. They are also very listenable. I've been down here jamming for a while and am experiencing no fatigue whatsoever. I had read here that the tweeter might be harsh. Is it the SL-2000? Not hearing it yet.

So this has got me thinking about my 'basement project'. I've gone through many phases as I approach this particular system as more of a work in progress/experiment than my main rig. I've thought about LSI's, then moved to the new Energy C line as an option, but now....what about an all polk vintage system. I'll have to start researching that.

BTW -I thought about keeping the 5's for myself and giving the girl the R20's but didn't have the heart to follow through after hyping up her 'first old-school' system so much. :(
Post edited by Jonesy on

Comments

• Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    Options
    congrats.. you got a nice taste of what the vintage Polks are all about.

HOLY BALLS! that was funny.

your daughter will love them i'm sure.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2007
    Options
    She should be happy to get anything FREE so keep the MON5's.

The stands look a tad high but the reaction/thread means they must be working just fine. Excellent pics :)

Happy listening!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    The stands are for the R20's in the basement. I had to put them on something. I'll be making a new set of stands for her rig in her room. It should be interesting. I'm going with metal tubing and walnut stained plates for her, in keeping with the walnut/metal faceplate theme of the gear. Thanks.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    You handy with fabrication, from the "making" comment? Just wondering.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Handy is an overstatement. Barely fucntional is more accurate. I made the stands in the picture and a couple others for friends. I am eager to tackle this project for the 5's. When you get down to it it's just a wood (or wood & metal) sandwich.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Sweet. How old is your daughter? My girl friend LOVES my old Polk's. I was just introduced to these about a year ago, and now I have 4 Monitor 4.6's, Mon 5's, RTA15TL's, SDA2's SDA-SRS's, SDA-3.1TL's , and SDA2b's on the way. Is there a shot to prevent me from my Addiction? Besides high speed lead? My Daughters are 3.5, and 1.5 years old, and they love them too. My 3 year old says Daddy's speakers are growing :D
    Enjoy Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2007
    Options
    :D Hey, looks great to me. I hope you post pics of the new stands as well.

The simple idea can get real crazy in this hobby.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Great speakers. Probably a lot of us started with the old Monitor series. You will be hard pressed to find anything near that quality for a reasonable price today. One of my favorites. Enjoy
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I love my Monitor 5's. I have to build some stands for mine also. Enjoy.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited March 2007
    Options
    5b's were my first set of Polks 22 years ago. I just recently aquired a pair again for my computer/office rig. Classic Polk speakers are still great today and in many cases sound as good or better than most things produced today. Enjoy them!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Yep. We've got two pair of 5jrs in the house... one with SL2000s and one with SL2500s.

I broke down and sold my minty Monitor 7Cs... the size versus use issue. But we'll never get rid of either of these 5s. Great speakers.
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    How did the 7's perform vs. the 5's? Was there a big difference?
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Just to clarify, I don't think those are the 5jr's... the 5jr's had the single active driver, and then a port below, instead of the passive radiator. You have the superior fullsize 5's. Still, the 5jr's were no slouch, either.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Example... my old 5jr's-

tn_med_IMAG0027.JPG
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Didn't the 5jr+ have the 3 drivers?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • nadams
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ah yes, I believe you are correct there.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Nadams...Those look like my 4's.

Jonesy, what year is that Gibson acoustic?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    Just to clarify, I don't think those are the 5jr's... the 5jr's had the single active driver, and then a port below, instead of the passive radiator. You have the superior fullsize 5's. Still, the 5jr's were no slouch, either.

Yeah, I've noticed some confusion about what is a 5, 5jr, 5jr+......I really don't know for sure. All I know is what's on the back (see above pic).

Jakelm, I wish that was a Gibson. It's a Johnson 'by AXL' which I never heard of, but it's 'handcrafted in China' :( I don't know what year it is as it's not mine. I'm holding it hostage until my brother in law fixes my acoustic that he put his foot through (on accident).
  • nadams
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't even see the picture of the back of the speaker!!!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Early 5jr's had a single 6.5" driver (mw6502)and sl2000 tweet and were ported in the front. The later 5jr's which were designated (+) had the same 6.5" driver (mw6502) but added a 6.5" passive radiator and had the sl2000 tweet and I believe the cabinet was larger. The 5jr+ series II had the same drivers and cabinet but instead of the sl2000 had the newer sl2500 tweet.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jonesy
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Is there any way to tell which tweeter I have?
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Jonesy wrote:
    Is there any way to tell which tweeter I have?

Do you have a pic? The sl2000 seemed to be the most popular but Polk used many different tweets from day one until they ceased production.

peerless is black cloth dome tweeter with a pin hole in the center. Some very ear;y 5 jr's (w/o passive rad.) may have had these.

sl1000 has a silver/aluminum bezel some of the early 5 jr's (w/o passive rad) may have those as well.

sl2000 has a black bezel and an opaque mylar looking dome. Fluid inside by this age might be slightly dark and discolored. The sl2000 was the most prominent tweet used in the Monitor series. This tweet was used in the 5 jr's w/o passive rad. and the 5 jr+ with the passive rad.

sl2500 has a black bezel and a blackish dome which doesn't resemble cloth but perhaps looks shiney. The dome may discolor over time and look a little yellowish/goldish in color. This tweet was used in all the Monitor Series II speaker line.

Most likey if you have 5jr's with the passive rad. then you have the sl2000.

H9

P.s. all this is going on memory so, if it's incorrect somone please correct. :)
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I just saw your pic in this htread.......duh :o .

You have the sl2000 tweeters.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Jonesy wrote:
    How did the 7's perform vs. the 5's? Was there a big difference?

I have a pair of 5jr with the SL2000, and a pair of the 5jr+ with the SL2500.

I never did a comparison of my Monitor 7Cs with the 5jr - but they have the same drivers so I bet they are pretty dang close for most listening. I liked the 7Cs a little better than the 5jr+ But, honestly, I like all three pair and could easily live with any of them as my mains. The 7Cs had enough bottom end to keep me happy on their own. If I were using the 5jr(+ or not) as my 'regular' speakers and had plans on long, louder listening, I'd probably use a decent sub with them. I never felt a big need for a sub with the 7s and music (I did use a sub when they were may mains for HT).

I don't remember if it was actually Polk's marketing phrase or not.. but I thought they used to say a pair of small Polks in a small room will sound similar to a pair of larger Polks in a larger room. Maybe I made that up. But for me, they all sound good.