good Ole Pioneer

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited December 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
Hey guys,

Brought my old Pioneer SX-450 up from the basement and hooked it up to my Polk 5jr and Micro Acoustics 3dx speakers. Man, that thing makes them sing. I can't believe the 15WPC RMS rating... I swear it sounds better than my JVC 100WPC RMS big-**** amp. I finally have sound I can feel coming out of this system. Anyone else use an older Pioneer amp for their 2ch rig?

I wish they still made 'em like this...

(Note- this is not the amp I have... this is the amp I wish I had :-))
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2002
    One problem w/ my Pioneer- it's got a POWERFUL power-on thump. The speakers actually stay extended for a time on initial power-on. Anyone else have this problem? Oh, plus I think one of my caps is going because it takes a while to get warmed up. I get a lot of static for a while and the front panel lights flicker a lot, then it'll just stop doing it suddenly and be fine. Oh well, it's prolly been used pretty hard in the past :rolleyes:
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • audionutt
    audionutt Posts: 97
    edited December 2002
    I used to have a pioneer intergrated amp and tuner from 1980 and it kicked ****! sold it to a guy from work a couple of years ago and is still kicken to this day.

joe
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    In your house or his?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,783
    edited December 2002
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Good one gidrah.

I'm sure joe knows all about kicken, real close to chicken. Oh, I'm sorry joe, you meant kicking, real close to dicking. Something else you know a lot about.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited December 2002
    That old gear still rocks! Have a Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver (160 wpc) that I use in my excercise room - still sounds great!
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited December 2002
    I've got a Pioneer SA-8100 Integrated Amp and a TX-7100 Tuner downstairs in my workshop. Bought 'em in the mid '70s and have never had a problem with either one. That tuner can pick up more radio stations clearer than either one of my Denons.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2002
    I still have a Pioneer SX-3800 that I bought in 79 I think. 65 wpc, built like a tank and like GZ said they had great tuners that I have not been able to get close to on anything since. This was not high end but it was a good sounding receiver. I used it until 93 when I bought a prologic receiver to get surround sound. I let my dad use it for his home system. I got to listen to it on Christmas day when I went to his house and it is still working as perfect as the day it was new and it still sounds pretty good (his speakers are definitely a weak link) . Here is a picture I took. someday when my dad can't use it anymore I would like to bring it home and hook it up to my Advents for that nostalgic sound and then see how it mates with some of my newer stuff like SACD and better DACs than I had back then.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    i think pioneer and jvc were like really good back then, my dad has a 1975 JVC 2 channel amp, runs like new
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited December 2002
    Pioneer is a good company. They kept the laserdisc video system going and made a good name for themselves. They were the one of the best projection tv makers for me as well. Many people like their current top of the line DVD player.