CRS Tweeter Wiring???

Options
rskarvan
rskarvan Posts: 2,374
edited October 2001 in Technical/Setup
I just replaced the original SL2000 tweets with Polk aftermarket ones in my CRS (blade/blade model - circa 1988). The original tweeter had the black wires clipped to the bottom (positive) terminal. This is how I wired in my new Tweeters (black to positive). IS THIS CORRECT?
I'm assuming the bottom of th SL2000 was positive because it had a very odd-looking (slanted) "+" sign molded into the plastic.
This wiring methodology seems unusual. They sound fine. But, I'm posting this message to "DOUBLE CHECK". Please Reply Polk.

Thanks. In summary:
So, is black tweeter wire positive or negative? Hmmm?
Post edited by rskarvan on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes, that is correct the black wire makes the positive connection.
    Regards, Ken
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Ken,

Thanks a bunch.
    I purchased these speakers used and wanted to make certain.
    You never know when somebody may have switched things around.

Its an unusual wiring standard though - sort of confusing.
    In home wiring (110 V), black usually goes to the circuit breaker
    common (negative) bar.

Here is a suggestion...
    Adhere a small adhesive-back'd schematic on the back of each speaker to simplify part replacement procedures.
    Just a thought. But, it might be a simple thing like this that helps to push an extra 1 or 2% of the population to choose Polk. Afterall, speakers (unlike most consumer electronic products) do have some consumer-serviceable parts inside.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    You're welcome, glad the information was helpful. Actually, we do follow the American Wire Guide (AWG) tradition, where the black wire is the "hot" and the white is the "ground". I was doing some work on my fuse box, at home, and all the wires followed that scheme. But, you're correct, we probably could be better at indicating polarity on the older speakers. All of the recent models have two different sized "fastons" the larger for the negative and smaller for the positive.
    Take care, Ken