SDA 1-C troubles

Options
opsman35
opsman35 Posts: 5
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hello all,

I have a pair of SDA 1-C's. It appears that the stereo drivers on the Left speaker are not functioning. I have checked the wiring to make sure it is correct, additionaly if I move the Stereo drivers from the left speaker to the right they function properly. I feel that I might have a problem with my crossover. I pulled it out and the soldering is very sloppy. I think the previous owner attempted to fix the same problem, but instead made a big mess. Any ideas on the best approach to get these functioning properly again? I had a set of SDA's previously and miss them a great deal! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Post edited by opsman35 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk OPS.
    I would take a multi meter and check the resistance from point to point on the crossover. The stereo drivers should not be affected by bad components as far as being able to play. There is a small inductor in series with the positive lead from the speaker terminal that should have slight resistance. Try also measuring from the positive input terminal to the black wire that connects to the stereo drivers. There should be a small amount of resistance between these 2 points.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • opsman35
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks Ben. I will give that a try. Can you tell me where to go from there? In other words, if I do or don't see the resistance you have described.

Thanks,

Brian
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi ops! Welcome to the Club Polk Forums! Any chance you could get a closeup picture of the crossover and post it in these threads.

Also, I assume that you have the interconnect cable and a non common ground amp. What kind of amp do you have?

Keep posting, we'll help you!:)
    Carl

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to CP!

Let me know if I can be of any help, I own a pair of 1Cs and am in Enid every Tuesday and Thursday.............

Dennis
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • opsman35
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks Guys. Yes I do have the interconnect cable, my amp is a Carver M-200 t. The phase speakers are working fine on both sides. I only have the problem with the Left channel stereo section. Dennis, just curios what in the world are you in Enid for twice a week if you don't mind me asking? We are a little secluded out here.
  • opsman35
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Carl,

Yes I will try and post a picture this week.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2007
    Options
    opsman35 wrote:
    Dennis, just curios what in the world are you in Enid for twice a week if you don't mind me asking? We are a little secluded out here.

I call on many of the band/music programs in the schools in your area with my business out of Woodward.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Post both sides of the crossover.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk