Popping psw450

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
I purchased a 450 today, I added to my system using lfe rca plug to my onk. The speaker sounds great, however, at high volumes it emits sharp repeated high pitched tones during Gladiator. Upon lowering the volume this disappeared, is the speaker malfunctioning? Or it just cannot handle high volume? Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I keep my 450's at about 1 o'clock volume
    position on the subs control.

I can crank the receiver loud as I want without problem.

-Luc
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks Luc,

Well I had the volume set at about 2:30 so I backed it off to 1:00, since it is 1:00 am here and the mama bear is sleeping i will give her a break and retry in the morning, I am running an onkyo ts-ds787 which gives gives clean sound. The 450 is replacing a Jensen i have had for about 6 years. I am running rt1000 for fronts and have used the pre-out left and right main from the reciever to run an rca plug to these little subs, but they take some load off the main sub, well at least i think they do, is there a way to run the jensen off the 450, or could i run off the preout from one of my surround, or run speaker wire from the surround left or right to the jensen line level then wire from the jensen to the surround to get the highs, i am running fx50 polks for my surrounds
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The speaker sounds great, however, at high volumes it emits sharp repeated high pitched tones during Gladiator. Upon lowering the volume this disappeared, is the speaker malfunctioning?
    Howdy, you are over driving your subwoofer. There are ecentally three settings on a subwoofer (1) main volume (2) Dolby db boost and (3) subwoofer main volume. If these three things are not set up properly - you can blow a subwoofer in meer seconds.
    Hey, we both have the same mains and reciever - great job.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hey Scott,

Well when went into the OSD for the ONK, i saw that the sub limiter had gone to off, probably happened during power outage when reset. Anyway, I reset to ON and have set up at 0db seems to be working well now, where do you keep yours set with the limiter or do you use it?

Thanks for the help man, I like my fronts the 1000's, I use a csi400 for my center and the system can shake pretty damm well. The ONK is the best receiver I have had so far, but I am still interested in the Denon, well always something a little bigger, a little better, you know tend to get the pieces one at a time, got the HDTV about 8 months ago a Hitachi 53", 16/9, fairly satisfied with it, the cost to product on it was very good.

Thanks again
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Sounds like a really sweet setup. Oh ya, the bass management on the 787 is awesome - good call. I have mine set but I don't remember at what specificaly. I have the PSW1200 - the GOD of all Polk subs - so not too much worry about overdriving it. Glad everything is working well now. Later!