Decisions, Decisions....what to do?

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited December 2002 in Speakers
Ight, I got my christmas money in, and I got 3 things I need/want to do!
1) Upgrade my bottum subwoofer driver (I am going to do this)
2) Buy the 230 dollar sub from Yamaha for my center channel
3) Save the money for my 5-Channel Amp I am going to buy

I can do 1 and 2 with my current money, and I will get the same amount of money I have now after I work, either way its like spending money I didnt earn then saving money I earned, what do yall think?
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    1) Use the Dayton 8 inch driver from PE for a 'drop in' at proably half the cost of the rat chack version.

2) Is a $230 Yamaha sub going to sound as good as new PSW202? ($140 ALL OVER ebay) PE even has a slot-loaded 10inch sub for $99.

3) Saving is ALWAYS a great option. Sid, you can have EVERYTHING you want, if you just WAIT. Think on it.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    I concur with Russ.

I'm all about getting my cheap on, but a little patience, planning and foresight goes a LONG way.

A sub (a Yammie at that) for your center? In the name of all that's holy, why?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    probally not my center. but surrounds. or just one to put in the back of my room.

The only reason i am looking at yammie, is I have heard their subs. Awesome stuff, deep, low, loud. I am also looking at the freq. on it, 20 hz, the polk hits to 40. my speakers hit to 60 and 50. I couldnt forsight ne improvement. reason y?

my M&K gives plenty of bass, but it seems like its only taking the stress off my mains, it seems like my surrounds, and center are squealing, i dunno y! but i just hear it, its like the midranges on them are really pushing! Not to mention my center isnt musical to start with...lol

yes, i know saving goes along way (how do you think i got my system as it is?) lol! thanx for yalls replys
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Just a thought, Atrium's can be had for not much online, get your tri-lam rears on WITH brackets included. . .

Best Buy has the KLH 3-way shelf speakers for $9 each right now. I might grab a pair for the cabs alone.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    as i said before, these are decisions and rambling thoughts - chances are, i will buy a bottum driver for my sub to upgrade, then save my money, and do a final upgrade for a long while, get the lsi 7, the outlaw amp, and the lsi c over the summer. that seems like a patience and saving plan and a long term deal.....lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    I have the YST SW-160. Yamaha sub. Sure it adds some decent bump in my small room, but I can tell you that this sub doesn't go down to 20HZ. I got it on clearance when they came out with the new line which consisted of moving some buttons from the back to the front. The specs say 20Hz, but they're dreamin'. When it was new it was $299. I wouldn't've paid that, but I got it for $199.

My suggestions:
    1) Instead of a new sub, upgrade your center. Yours is fine, but you don't seem pleased with the overall sound.
    2) If you still want another sub, build one. You've got the DIY bug biting you and this is a great place to start. There are probably over a hundred DIY designs that would sound better and go deeper than that Yamaha for about the same price.
    3) Don't be sold on that Outlaw yet. Sure they're awesome amps from what I'm told and the in-home trial is sweet. But most stores that carry an amp of this cailber might let you borrow one for a weekend and you wouldn't pay shipping. Besides, 3 months after you've had it you'll be wondering if you made the right choice. Do more research (not to imply that you haven't already) and also consider multiple mono or stereo amps.
    4) If you're thinking of upgrading that M&K sub deffinately do your homework.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    - 1) Instead of a new sub, upgrade your center. Yours is fine, but you don't seem pleased with the overall sound.
    2) If you still want another sub, build one. You've got the DIY bug biting you and this is a great place to start. There are probably over a hundred DIY designs that would sound better and go deeper than that Yamaha for about the same price. -

I am going with the LSi 7's for mains, and the LSi-C for the center, and im gonna keep my rt35i's in the back as surrounds. So i will not be getting ne more subwoofers.

- 3) Don't be sold on that Outlaw yet. Sure they're awesome amps from what I'm told and the in-home trial is sweet. But most stores that carry an amp of this cailber might let you borrow one for a weekend and you wouldn't pay shipping. Besides, 3 months after you've had it you'll be wondering if you made the right choice. Do more research (not to imply that you haven't already) and also consider multiple mono or stereo amps. -
    The reveiws, wats, thd, weight, look, 30 day money back garuntee, has sold me on the outlaw, no other amp for 1300 dollars can do 200 wats 8 ohms, 300 4 ohms, less than .05 thd at that price. Rotel has like 125 at 8 ohms, something at 4 ohms, with .03 thd. but guess what, 2500+. I got a feeling I will like the outlaw, and im not afraid to lay down the bucks to get it, remember im only a kid, if it plays loud, im cool! :D!

- 4) If you're thinking of upgrading that M&K sub deffinately do your homework. -
    I have already had to change the forward driver since it blew, i am going to order the driver from M&K, and they will be sending me the mx-125 driver from their recomendation. I dont think i need to do ne hw, all i need to do is order it, wait, and plug and play.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC