center channel placement

Options
nellis8166
nellis8166 Posts: 292
edited December 2002 in Speakers
hello all,

anybody have any ideas on center channel placement??? right now my LSI center sits on top of the TV and it is about 18 higher than it should be for proper imaging. I do have to say that the LSI works better in this situation than anything I have every heard, but I am never satisfied.
My living room is fairly small and I don't have room under the TV or anywhere else. No room for a speaker stand either, besides if I spend another dollar on anything to do with the stereo my wife will kill me.
Any Suggestions??? Thanks!!!

TV: Sony Wega 32' Flat
Mains: LSI9
Center: LSIC
Surrounds and Rears: RTi28
Amp: HK 525
DVD, CD, SACD: DVP-NS755v
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Have you tried to angle it so it fires more downward? Some people place CD jewel cases under the rear feet. To prevent your center from possibly slipping you could try those rubber door stoppers available at any hardware store. They provide good traction and the more you slide them under your LSiC the greater the angle. And they're cheep and small enough so you can sneak them into da house without you wife even noticing.
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Nellis - besides the doorstops mentioned by GZ (which work quite well) my unconventional method for angling my center downward is a mousepad(s) :lol:
    I cut it into apx. 4 equal "slices" w/a razor and stack them up. (you can remove the cloth or whatever side,by peeling it off if you want) and slide the stack under the center.
    If needed--you can ask someone to add/remove a "slice" while you're in the sweet spot or taking readings w/your spl-and alter the angle to your liking.
    That's just me though :rolleyes: hope this helps.

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'd put it in the center. :lol:
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Options
    the cd jewl case method was from me :D, might I add it angeled it enough - and my center is also around 18 inches higher than it should. The treble calmed down - the imaging also was el of alot better! (i have the cs245i).
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I used rubber foam to angle the speaker and it works great. To find the sweet spot I used a laser-level I used to remodel my kitchen.