650 + 202 subwoofer connection

botany
botany Posts: 68
Hello, I am using option #1 in the polk speaker hook-up. my question is, How do I hook up the 202 to the 650 subwoofer. That is, the in's and outs? How is it daisy changed?

Thanks all,

Botany :)
Post edited by botany on

Comments

• botany
    edited November 2002
    Hello its me again, I have two subwoofers (650 & 202) trying to hook them together so that they work as one woofer, I hope this helps

Botany
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    i truly dont no....but for me to just take a guess at it ---- u have a in out - im guessing u use the one plug thats not plugged into ur receiver, plug a subwoofer cable into the empty slot on the 650 to the 202....thats my guess...and i could be wrong
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Botany - what is option #1 - I don't have the manual in front of me. Is it a speaker level connection, or are you using the LFE pre-out from your receiver?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • botany
    edited November 2002
    Hello here is option one says in hooking-up the speakers to the 650 sub.:

Using speaker wire, connect the left and right front speaker outputs of your receiver or amplifier to the "speaker level" (wire) onputs of the powered subwoofer.

Then, connect the left and right front satellite speakers with speaker wire from the "speaker level" outputs of the powered subwoofer.

Connect the center channel speaker directly to the center channel output from the receiver.

Connect the rear surround satellites directly to the rear surround channel outputs from your receiver.

Now, with that said: How do I add another (202) woofer into this?

Thanks for your help,

Botany
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    I don't think you can hook-up two subs that way. You might have to go with a Y-splitter and 2 RCA cables and connect to the subs that way. Bass management is done electronically at the receiver. Connect to the LFE jack (Unfiltered) at the subs.

Can anyone else help with another alternative?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited December 2002
    My RM6700 and PSW404 manuals seem to recommend against connecting the sub using the LFE unfiltered input. My receiver is aSony STR-DA1ES. Does any one knows why I should not connect my Sony's sub out to my PSW404's unfiltered LFE. Why would it sound better if I connect the front speaker out to the 404 speaker in and then the RM6700 front speakers to the sub's speaker out? If I use the Sony's sub-out to the 404's LFE, should I set the RM6700 front speakers to "large", or "small"?

Thanks,
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    I always use the lfe out. Hooking two up is easy coin the phrase "daisy chaining" use the "out" on the first sub to the "in" on the second sub. I have no ideal way this is soooo difficult. I am running two power towers and two subs this way and it rocks.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    PSW404 manuals seem to recommend against connecting the sub using the LFE unfiltered input.
    This is soooo freaking baffleing. Powered subs are suppose to be hooked up via the subwoofer out on the DD reciever. It's that simple. The speaker level method was coined by Bose for hooking up there passive subs to the "sattilite" cube speakers. Period.
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited December 2002
    I finally found an article on the polk FAQ section, they definitely recommend against using the LFE with the RM series SAT/SUB systems. I tried both the speaker level and the LFE. While using LFE, I set the cross over frequency of the sony sub out at 130 HZ. I honestly could not tell the difference between the two connection methods.