Monitor 7 series 2--Tweeking possible??

Options
edwin soto
edwin soto Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I bought a pair of used Mon.7 ser.2. These were made in 1991. I removed the midrange and saw the date stamped on the back. The damping material used is some flimsy cotton or fiberglass material. I ask, would it be a good idea to use acoustic foam, like "Sonex" and cover all the walls?
These speakers sound good, but when I play at loud volumes I notice some "ringing" (I hope I am explaining myself correctly.). Maybe I am still suffering the effects of close explosions while in the Army.
peace321@netzero.net
Post edited by edwin soto on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Edwin! Welcome to the Club Polk Forums! The Monitor 7 is a wonderful speaker! You will be hard pressed to find a better speaker without spending a whole lot of money.

I doubt that changing the dampening material will make much of a difference for you. Your welcome to try, but the dampening material is there to reduce the "resonsance" also known as "boom" or "rumble" out of the speaker cabinent. These sounds tend to make the music and voices sound "muddy"

The "ringing" that you describe may be due to the SL2500 tweeter in those Monitor 7's. Polk does sell a replacement tweeter which you may find more to your liking. Call Polk Customer Service at 800-377-7655. Ask for Ken and tell him what you are hearing. Ken will be glad to help you.

Good luck!
    Carl

• edwin soto
    edwin soto Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Carl! Thanks for the welcome. I guess you'r right, it must be the midrange. I was afraid of that and thought that maybe I could put on a "band-aid". At "normal" levels (not that I am, you know, I volunteered for the Army! Ha-Ha!), they sound beautiful, great soundstage. Thanks for you help. To all my buddies: "enjoy the music"!
    Edwin.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited February 2007
    Options
    In addition to Carl's excellent advice, you could try damping the stamped steel driver baskets with Dynamat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk