FS: B&K Pro 10 Preamp, minty

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,196
edited February 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
EDIT: SOLD on Audiogon.

Just going to do a quick post to see if there is any interest here.

I have a B&K Components Pro10 Sonata preamp that I need to sell.

This pre was recently checked out by B&K at the factory at the same time they did my ST-1400. They they refreshed a few things included the opamps in the phono section. Otherwise clean bill of health. This pre is ready to rock for many years to come!

The pre is extremely clean, no significant flaws that I can see. The pre has passive or active mode, external power supply, headphone output, tape loop, two pair of RCA outputs and one set of balanced outputs.

The phono section is very good and also versatile. It sounds as good as anything I've heard. It is internally switchable for MC or MM, has user replaceable capacitance and load. The phono section is currently in the original factory configuration set up for moving magnet/47k ohm load.

Owners manual is here (click to download)

Many say this is a giant killer, especially in passive mode. I have to agree. The only reason I'm selling is because I really am hung up on having a remote control for my pre (even with a cost of sound quality).

Pictures are of my actual unit. This is also listed on Audiogon, but the price is a little higher there. Splotches are lens flare from the camera, the pre is pretty much flawless. Close examination could only find a small knick on the balance knob and a couple tiny hairline scratches on the top lid.
For some reason, the volume knob appears to be a slightly different color than the other knobs. I don't know if this was orignially this way, or if the black anodizing is slightly faded. Regardless, the knob is the original and it still has a nice shiney finish.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Cummon folks. Read the reviews of this thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding solid state pre w/a full featured phono stage for less than $500!
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Bump. I added actual pictures of the pre that I'm selling.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Do you accept rubber checks? If so I would love to have it!
    External power supply and the option for passive pre.
    how does the passive mode work, does it work with out the power supply?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    Do you accept rubber checks? If so I would love to have it!
    External power supply and the option for passive pre.
    how does the passive mode work, does it work with out the power supply?

In passive mode, the active gain stage is bypassed. You can see the block diagram on page 14 of the owner's manual that is linked above.

Rubber checks? Don't think so.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Great Pre-amp! I own one as well, although mine is the older non-Sonata version so it has less features. . . and it's not nearly as pretty.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Great gear,,Bill's a class act ,,his packing skills are "impeccable",, great job on those Mon. 5's :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2007
    Options
    That is a great deal--everyone must be broke brotha....(tax time)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    That is a great deal--everyone must be broke brotha....(tax time)

Must be it. Holiday bills come in and waiting for tax refund. People who owe usually don't get tight until around the first week of April.

I've also had my Oracle Alexandria for sale at A-gon. Thought it would sell quick, but I've only had one lowball offer.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Bump. Waiting to hear back from brother Ledhed, but most likely still available. Man, I've got two preamps and no amp right now! I gotta move this to get some cash for an amp!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I like the fact that it can be run in passive or active mode plus it has my favorite option....headphone output. :) Nice piece of gear.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I like the fact that it can be run in passive or active mode plus it has my favorite option....headphone output. :) Nice piece of gear.

Yeah, the circuitry is always powered as long as the power supply is plugged in. No waiting for warmup to sound good.

Also interesting is the fact that the headphone is only active when the front panel switch is off. In other words, the front panel switch is a toggle between the headphone circuit and the output circuits.
  • bolelet1
    bolelet1 Posts: 92
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Is this still available? Just wondering whether this would work well with my BK3140 power amp than my yamaha rxv1400. Thanks.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hell yeah it would! I love my B&K Pro-10MC. Tried to replace it with a Carver combo, but I'm thinking the B&K might need to stay. Just sounds warmer, more involving.

And, this one is much nicer than my Pro-10 (newer, better features, prettier).
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • bolelet1
    bolelet1 Posts: 92
    edited February 2007
    Options
    So if I replace my yammie with this pre, does it mean that I have to get another amp for my sub or does this pre has output for my sub.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    bolelet1 wrote:
    So if I replace my yammie with this pre, does it mean that I have to get another amp for my sub or does this pre has output for my sub.

No sub output. This is strictly a 2-channel analog preamp. If you really needed to use a sub, you could use the passive crossover in your sub, if its got it. Run the speakers wire to the input speaker terminals on the sub, wire the speakers to the output terminals. Of course, that's if your sub has that feature.

Edit: I noticed your B&K amp is a 3-channel. Reminder, this pre is not a hometheater pre, just 2-channel stereo.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sold the B&K Pro10 to a fellow through Audiogon.