SDA-1's

jpiiijpiii Posts: 4
edited December 2002 in Speakers
Hello All,
I own a couple of pairs of small Polks, newer models, that I love.
My father in law just GAVE me a pair of mint SDA-1's!!!
What would be a good, reasonably priced amp to drive these, bearing in mind, I don't have a bunch of cash to drop at this moment. Appreciate all comments.

Thanks,
Jack in ATL
Post edited by jpiii on

Comments

• RuSsMaNRuSsMaN Posts: 17,995
    edited December 2002
    Are you looking for an integrated, a pre/amp combo, what?

Just a few brands, without getting into specific models, most Carver, Adcom, Nad, Yamaha, Marantz, AMC will work fine, and still be what I consider 'affordable'.

Lucky dog, btw.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
    edited December 2002
    Agreed on Rotel, I KNEW I forgot something.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jpiiijpiii Posts: 4
    edited December 2002
    I was thinking pre-amp, amp setup. Usually makes for a cleaner sounding system, correct. I am planning on running it 2 ch. stereo only. Comments....

Thanks gents, I appreciate the help.

Jack
    edited December 2002
    How about a ballpark budget, and we can start linkin' ya up.
    edited December 2002
    I was thinking between $500 and $1000.

Thanks,
    Jack
  • abmarshabmarsh Posts: 109
    edited December 2002
    The Yamaha RX-V1300 at $799 would be a good choice. The SDAs are reasonably efficient (I have SDA-2As), but, nonetheless, seem to prefer a lot of clean power. At 100 W/channel, the Yamaha would drive them fine and I think you'd find it to be a great sounding system. If I'm not mistaken, the SDA-1s were rated a little more efficient than the SDA-2s.

I'm driving my SDAs with the RX-V2300. They sound great and will put out absolutely ludicrous amounts of volume.
    edited December 2002
    Would a GFA-555 be a good amp to drive them??
    What would be considered a good price for one on EBay nowadays??
    What would be the right pre-amp to pair with that amp??

Thanks for your help gentlemen!!

Jack
  • hoosier21hoosier21 Posts: 4,405
    edited December 2002
    DargueKnight is selling a pair of his 555's on Ebay right now, he is a Polk Forum Member. He has a BIN of 450.00 and that is in the middle of the range, I would guess 400.00-500.00 depending on condition. This guy takes care of his stuff.

Oh yea, it would be a good amp for your 1C's. Talk to him about the combo, he has SDA's.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Adam K. BinderAdam K. Binder Posts: 1
    edited December 2002
    I,ve been using a NAD 730 to push a pair of SDA-1s that I have had since 12/83 and it does a very fine job. Also a NAD 515 CD changer. I still play my LPs though. Good Luck, Adam