RDO tweets

Options
ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
What is the power handling capacity compared to the stock tweets.
I have a flavors in my system from sl2000, sl2500, and sl3000.
The 2000's seem pretty frail. Granted they are over 20 years old. The 2500's seem to hold up decently, and the 3000's just sound nasty at anything but low volume. They sound scratchy/gritty.

Thanks Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ive heard you can add ferrofluid to old tweats to bring them back to life Sound wise...... I would have to confer with the gods here before I did it. Might even help the 3000 abit. It helps with cooling of the voilce coil the way I understand it. Overtime this stuff is said to get dry.... Now Im gonna have to dig thru numerous articles to find it ,,,this has got my lil brain working overtime trying to remember.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ive heard you can add ferrofluid to old tweats to bring them back to life Sound wise...... I would have to confer with the gods here before I did it. Might even help the 3000 abit. It helps with cooling of the voilce coil the way I understand it. Overtime this stuff is said to get dry.... Now Im gonna have to dig thru numerous articles to find it ,,,this has got my lil brain working overtime trying to remember.

Thanks DK
    I'd hate to fry any more tweeters:(
    I am pushing them with plenty of clean power (Adcoms) and the distortion lights rarely even flicker.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The RD series tweeter is a drop-in replacement, period. It doesn't change anything that you couldn't, or shouldn't excercise caution with the previously installed tweeter.

The general consensus within this forum, is that the replacement tweeter is superior to the stock tweeters in both arrays.

DK's suggestion of adding ferrofluid to a tweeter is akin to finding Atlantis or Noah's Ark.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ahhhh I see I guess some one else has heard of it then hmmm

The rd's are deffinetly smooth!
    dorokusai wrote:
    The RD series tweeter is a drop-in replacement, period. It doesn't change anything that you couldn't, or shouldn't excercise caution with the previously installed tweeter.

The general consensus within this forum, is that the replacement tweeter is superior to the stock tweeters in both arrays.

DK's suggestion of adding ferrofluid to a tweeter is akin to finding Atlantis or Noah's Ark.

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    QUOTE]
    Power and SQ?
    The SL2000's and SL3000's both sounded like crap, but the 2500's sounded pretty good, and hold up well. So you think the RDO's will hold up well?

Thanks Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    Options
    How much power you gonna run to those DIY's SDA's Im running 500 watts a channel with my 2 carver-tfm-35s no problems that I see , You cant stay in the room when it turned way up but its damn clear.....

• dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ben, I've installed at least 60 RD series tweeters in resale and personal collection combined, without hesitation. Take that as you wish, good luck.

DK - Amen :)

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Ben, I've installed at least 60 RD series tweeters in resale and personal collection combined, without hesitation. Take that as you wish, good luck.

DK - Amen :)

Mark
    I am not doubting the quality of the sound, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about RDO's crapping out. I'm just nervous about spending the coin I need to to get where I want to be. Before I do my homegrown SDA-SRS's I have SDA3.1TL's. I think If I'll have a problem I would have it there with the single tweeter arrangement. Oh yeah the circuit protection tripped a lot with my SDA2's, would they trip just as easily with the RDO's? Would I be able to switch to a more powerful polyswitch.

Thanks Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ben - I'm not sure what comfort you want from me. It's a tweeter and you should treat it as such. All tweeters are not the same but in this respect, the difference doesn't really matter. You're not going from a soft dome to a ribbon.

The RD series is a drop in, thus its equal to, or greater than the power handling cap's of the OG. I don't know every parameter, I don't really care, Polk says its solid....and I know from experience, which is worth as much as a picture, that its in fact solid and better.

I respect your investment but I wouldn't hesitate personally, at all.
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance. I think they are $80 a pop. I get scared :o
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Options
    They are $48 a pop with the forum discount. I recently replaced all eight of my SL3000s. The difference in sonics it not subtle especially after about 24 to 28 hours of break in. I didn't change out the SL3000s because I thought they were bright or sounded harsh or bad for that matter. My 1.2 TLs are 16 years old. I started with the RD0198s. I'm planning on upgrading the crossovers and interconnect. I may even replace the mid-woofers if Polk still makes them. I'm just protecting my investment and I love these speaker and plan on taking them to the grave with me, heck their big enough that I might be able to use them as a coffin.
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I love your comment about them being used as a coffin. When I was working on my custom SDA's I was told I looked like I was building a coffin. :D Let me know if you do replace the woofers. I will help by buying your old ones. I am always on the hunt for more parts.

Ben

I NEED MORE MW65XX's!!!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks HI for the recap on Club Polk Discount. I tend to think that its a given when they call, but that's not always been the case. Noone's fault, just happens.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Thanks HI for the recap on Club Discount. I personally tend to think that its a given when they call, but that's not always been the case.

Ya have to mention that you are a member, that is it. . . they love us to death. Great, incredibly, tremendous and knoweldgable customer service.
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options

Cool thread, kinda heart warming.
    Where is the "manly kinda way emoticon" ?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ya mean this:

:p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad: :p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I didn't hear the tweets are only $48. la la la la need to check funds la la la la la
    Must resist urge to buy tweets La la la la
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    There is no resisting the dark side of the force Ben. . . just buy them, you won't get buyers remorse once you hear them.