Pro & cons of SDA's in HT?

Options
C3 Audio
C3 Audio Posts: 43
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hi Folks,
While I'm new to the forum, I have to say I've been a polk fan since 1985 when I bought a pair of monitor 10B's. They have served me well through the years and continue to work well.
The reason for my question is that I'm getting ready to finish the basement. My plans are to assemble a high end two channel system using SDA's and investigate the possibilities of having the SDA technology cross over into a HT surround setup. I don't currently own a set of SDA's, but have been looking, so if one model works better for the dual application, please let me know. I have read a lot of the threads in the forum and see where many folks are sucessfully using the SDA's in HT. I'd just like to know as many of the pro's and cons of doing so before assembling the pieces.
Thanks for your input,
C3 Audio
Conrad Johnson PV14L
Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
Carver TFM-25
Polk SDA 1C's with upgraded xovers
Post edited by C3 Audio on

Comments

• dcoil
    dcoil Posts: 153
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome C3 Audio. I am also relatively new to the forums, but have used Polk SDA 2's since 1990. I have used these in a combo 2 channel and HT setup (called monetary efficiency). I have recently purchased a pair of SRS, replacing the 2's. Although the SDA sound stage is much more pronounced in 2 channel, they also work well for HT. As far as a speaker recommendation, I think it's probably more a matter of budget. Personally, my approach was to spend the majority of my budget on the mains and a good sub. The surrounds are for location of surround content, and the center for dialogue. I think the sub may be the main component for HT. HT is great for the family, but my main enjoyment of the system is getting immersed in to 2 channel. One thing I will assure you, is that you will enjoy the SDA technology in whatever model you end up with. Have fun putting it together.
    d
    SDA SRS modded: X’ovrd, de-polyed, inductorized, interconnectorized, re-posted, dynamited, RDO’d, spiked, gasketed, ringed (Larry's), and grill cloth blinged! Done this on my own? Not a chance. Thanks to Raife and all who forged easy to follow upgrades. At least a 100% improvement in sound and my personal listening pleasure! :cheesygrin:Pass XP-10 preamp, Parasound A21 amp, Pioneer Elite DV-58AV (Ric Shultz modded), Audioquest Sky IC's, No longer need my Sunfire sub after mods...
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    Options
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The only cons in using sda's in ht is finding 2 pairs of sda speakers to start the process.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2007
    Options
    There are cons to using SDA's in HT ?

No.

Well that would be my opinion.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • C3 Audio
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Sounds good. Nice to see the SDA's will work well in HT as well.
    Thanks for your responses.
    C3 Audio
    Conrad Johnson PV14L
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
    Carver TFM-25
  • steveducie
    steveducie Posts: 192
    edited January 2007
    Options
    what models would you use for the HT set up ?
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    Options
    ESAVINON wrote:
    The only cons in using sda's in ht is finding 2 pairs of sda speakers to start the process.
    As far as the SDA effect goes, having another pair for the rears won't get you much ...
  • C3 Audio
    edited January 2007
    Options
    steveducie wrote:
    what models would you use for the HT set up ?
    At this point , I'm pretty flexible because I don't own a pair of SDA's yet. Mike Reeter has a pair of 1C's in the FM. Would the 1C's work well in both applications? From reading forum threads on SDA's, I might consider the 1C's, 1.2's or a set of 2.3's so I'm looking for input on what models might be best for multi purpose use in two channel and HT. The speakers would probably get an even mix of time in 2 channel and HT. I realize the speakers I have listed come with a wide price range as well. Any comments are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Conrad Johnson PV14L
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
    Carver TFM-25
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The main problem with obtaining SDA's in the Midwest is: they just don't come up for sale very often.

The SRT's are even more difficult to locate,let alone the price they seem to bring when they do come up.

I've been watching these speakers for years,and it seems like they are almost always located on each coast.

There are a "few" that come up for sale,but not often...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I used my SDA's as fronts and lsi for center and rear for awhile. I finally sold the lsi's and am personally just as happy listening in 2 channel with the SDA's for movies.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The main problem with obtaining SDA's in the Midwest is: they just don't come up for sale very often.

My how times have changed. :( Twelve years ago, Illinois and the surrounding areas were a hotbed for Polks. Guys I used to communicate with (back then) from those parts referred to it as "Polk Country". They said there were always plenty of Polk dealers and thus all models of the older Polks were widely available including the big SDAs. No more I guess.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The SRT's are even more difficult to locate,let alone the price they seem to bring when they do come up.
    Wisconsin's not in the midwest ? http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-SRT-HOME-THEATER-SYSTEM-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-NR_W0QQitemZ260080616290QQihZ016QQcategoryZ71571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As far as price goes ... They can usually be had for less then half of original cost which is pretty much in line with the variety of SRS's ...
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I'm planning on use CRSs as the fronts of a smaller HT system.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Personally I like the SRT's ... http://www.polkaudio.com/images/showcase/137_2_big.jpg

There's a pair+ on eBay now ...

Never mind I just found them .
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Personally I like the SRT's ... http://www.polkaudio.com/images/showcase/137_2_big.jpg

There's a pair+ on eBay now ...

If those bad boys were local I'd jump on them.
  • C3 Audio
    edited February 2007
    Options

I've been watching these speakers for years,and it seems like they are almost always located on each coast.

There are a "few" that come up for sale,but not often...
    Mike,
    I saw your 1C's in the FM and got your PM. Being a new member, I don't have enough posts yet to reply to a PM or an add in the FM. I would like to talk to you about the 1C's and was wondering if you could send me a PM with an email address or phone number?
    Conrad Johnson PV14L
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
    Carver TFM-25
  • Mike Reeter
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Wisconsin's not in the midwest ? http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-SRT-HOME-THEATER-SYSTEM-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-NR_W0QQitemZ260080616290QQihZ016QQcategoryZ71571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As far as price goes ... They can usually be had for less then half of original cost which is pretty much in line with the variety of SRS's ...

My comment was more toward how often the SRT's come up for sale...I think these might be the second set I can remember being for sale in the past year or so...at any location...Like it has been said before,people that have em' usually don't let em' go.
  • C3 Audio
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, it looks like I'm headin' west to check out Mike's 1C's. It will be good to meet another member of the forum as well as audition the SDA's. Sounds like a lot of the members here have driven more than 8 hours round trip to get there hands on some SDA's. I'll keep you posted.......
    Conrad Johnson PV14L
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
    Carver TFM-25
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I agree with Reeter cant say that theres too many sda's in the midwest they always come up for sale on the east and west coast or very close to the coasts. My local hifi shop here in lawton sold 1 pair of them way back when and thats it. Must not be too much need for a concert on the farms ( So I put one on for them since their in need really) 1.2s for fronts 5jrs for centers and 3.1s for surrounds now theres a n Ht setup you can spend your money on !!!. The big SDAs are very worth the trip !
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • PolkWannabie
    edited February 2007
    Options
    My comment was more toward how often the SRT's come up for sale...I think these might be the second set I can remember being for sale in the past year or so...at any location...Like it has been said before,people that have em' usually don't let em' go.
    I would tend to agree with your last comment and as a result if you want them you have to go where they are ... Mine came from the opposite coast ...
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    C3 Audio wrote:
    Well, it looks like I'm headin' west to check out Mike's 1C's. It will be good to meet another member of the forum as well as audition the SDA's. Sounds like a lot of the members here have driven more than 8 hours round trip to get there hands on some SDA's. I'll keep you posted.......

It was 18 hours round trip to pickup my 1.2 TLs.
  • keithling
    keithling Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have a pair of SDA-2B s for my front speakers. Basically, I unhook the "communication" cable from one speaker when I watch HT. I plug it back in for stereo.

The thing is, many of the newer HT receivers have very good 5 channel simulation. SO it has been a good while since I plugged that communication channel in.
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited February 2007
    Options
    In my system I have a pair of SRS SDAs for the front and a pair of 2.3ts for the rear. In the center I run a pair of cs400is. For a sub (for LFE channel only) I have a 12inch Shure sub. The system is fantastic as far as I,m concerned. It also sounds real good in 2 channel and I can run either the fronts or the rears as the stereo pair or do the "fake" surround thing. Go for it - just don't skimp on the amplification (bi-amping is nice).
    Good Luck, Phil
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm running custom SDA1.2s's up front, and was experimenting with different center speakers (monitor 4.6, 5, cs101, and even an infinity). After playing with them a while I set my pre amp for a 4 speaker setup (no center), and the voices were coming from where they are supposed to. I have 550 watts going to each of the mains, and only 225 available for the center. With the monitor 5's both hooked up it was close, and sounding right. Just a little bit shy of the 1.2's
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hookem1969
    hookem1969 Posts: 9
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I do not know if I am the only one out there, but since I have been using my 1c's in my home theatre setup, I have been listening to movies and tv using the direct pass mode on my receiver/pre-amp.(2 channel mode) I have gotten where I do not care for the 5.1 effect anymore. I guess since the SDA's have that center sweet spot, I do not need a center channel to hear the dialogue. I had not listened to movies in stereo since I was in High School before Dolby 3 had surfaced. :p
  • C3 Audio
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I just purchased my first set of SDA's from Mike Reeter. My wife and I drove to Mike's house Sunday morning. He gave us an awesome demo of the 1C's and managed to teach me a few things in the process. They sound sweet! It has been a while since I have heard the detail and quality in an audio recording. It was nice.
    My thanks to Mike and his wife Renee for welcoming us into thier home for a demo of not only the 1C's, but I got to hear his 2.3TL's and HT system as well. It was all very nice.
    Best road trip I have had in a while.
    Thanks again Mike!
    Conrad Johnson PV14L
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
    Carver TFM-25
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Good stuff there Brother. . . it is really cool when a couple or few forum members gets together, it reminds me how awesome this place is.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited February 2007
    Options
    C3 Audio wrote:
    I just purchased my first set of SDA's from Mike Reeter. My wife and I drove to Mike's house Sunday morning. He gave us an awesome demo of the 1C's and managed to teach me a few things in the process. They sound sweet! It has been a while since I have heard the detail and quality in an audio recording. It was nice.
    My thanks to Mike and his wife Renee for welcoming us into thier home for a demo of not only the 1C's, but I got to hear his 2.3TL's and HT system as well. It was all very nice.
    Best road trip I have had in a while.
    Thanks again Mike!

Chris,You are quite welcome,I enjoyed our time together as much as you and Tracy did...

There is nothing more fun than sharing this hobby (obsession:D) with good people like yourself...

Feel free to come back anytime,our door is always open to CP members,especially when they are fans of Rush,Dire Straits,The Eagles,and on and on:D