Halloween

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
After I go to the supermarket on Halloween afternoon (you know, to buy the apples and razor blades, and watch their faces!), I usually lock up the house, hang the "No Candy Go Away" sign on the front door, and hide out in the basement theater to watch a scary movie or two. Or three.

This year I'm thinking a double feature of "Halloween" (I have the cool remastered 2-DVD set with the hologram on the cover) and either "Young Frankenstein" or "Ghostbusters." One scary, one funny.

Nothing like watching "Halloween" on halloween.

Any other suggestions?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    I agree with your choice....

The first Hellraiser - greatness - F'n gross.
    Event Horizon, sci-fi-horror subwoofer workout.....

Check em out.
    R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    "Event Horizon" absolutely sucked!

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    EVENT HORIZON did suck. But there was some cool sound system workout stuff in there, neat-o surround effects.

I have EXORCIST (the remastered 25th anniv version, not the goofball "version you never saw"), JAWS... A bunch of Hitchcock stuff. ALIEN and CAPE FEAR.

It's so tough to find quality slasher flicks. Max Cady was the original Michael Meyers.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    I don't know you can put "Predator" in that category, but don't tell me that creature didn't scare the **** out of you when you first watch it at the movie theater. On DVD now with DTS track...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2001
    I also have the 2 disc special limited edition Halloween. Such greatness!!!

Alien and Exorcist are winners also.

One that I really liked was the Stephen King made for TV miniseries called Storm of the Century.

Micah, not dressing up? Get a big box, climb inside and go trick or treating as a Polk speaker. Just a suggestion. Draw speakers on the outside of the box.

John
    No excuses!
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited October 2001
    Is "Young Frankenstein" on DVD? This is a great movie. "Werewolf...There wolf". I don't know when there is a time I don't laugh during this movie.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2001
    Every year we get together with the people upstairs (our tenants) for a couple of fests. Halloween and the Shining are the usual staples. We then add a few extras. Below are some of my suggestions.

1. Halloween-Still #1 grossing independent film.
    2. The Shining-Great movie. DVD is not widescreen:(
    3. Snow White w/Sigourney-Grimm is the key word.
    4. Night of the Living Dead-I don't think it's on DVD yet.
    5. Evil Dead 2-Great sound, funny, creepy,one of Raimi's best.
    6. Frankenstein: The True Story-Long, but good.
    7. Any of the Classics-Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, etc. ALL mummy movies bore me.

I would like to see the movie Freaks. It came out in '32 and is highly acclaimed. My wife saw it some time ago and refuses to watch it again.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited October 2001
    planning to watch tim burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. not a scary movie at all, but still great! plus my GF's never seen it, i'm excited to see what she thinks. might have to watch sleepy hollow too. oh, and just my two sense, i thought event horizon was a great thriller, it's probably one of the only movies i've ever seen in the theater that really made me uncomfortable sitting there watching it.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    The great "Night of the Living Dead" is indeed on DVD, in at least 6 different versions. ONLY ONE OF THEM IS WORTH GETTING, and that is the "Special Collector's Edition" from Elite Entertainment DVD. It is the ONLY ONE with commentary by George Romero himself, and if you have any other version you have a crappy transfer and phony added footage. Buyer beware!

See this link for the key facts: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/nightofthelivingdead.html

Also, "Young Frankenstein" is also on DVD -- a stunning (albeit nonanamorphic) B&W print of the film, with a GREAT commentary track by Mel Brooks that it at least as funny as the film itself.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com