Another demo material thread.

gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited December 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm looking for suggestions on demo material that is geared toward imaging and soundstage. I'm thinking acoustic or some classical.

I've been listening to a pair of 4" single driver DIY periscopes lately. They do some things really well and other things not at all. Within a very small sweet spot; which is okay since I sit and enjoy, they image as well as some electrostatics I've heard. Unfortunately, they won't play real high or low. They're not great at picolo or bassoon, but shine on guitar and vocals.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited December 2002
    Cowboy Junkies-The Trinity Sessions. It was recorded in an old Trinity church in Canada, I think. They utilized an Ambisonic microphone which picks up the performers and all the ambient sounds (hence the name). You can hear everything, the floor creaking, the singer licking her lips, everything. And its all acoustic, it is also really mellow so don't blame me if you fall asleep. I doubt if you will, I can listen to it after hearing it several times and hear new details.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Look into
    Creed - What if, mad guitar in there man! Mark Trimonti can really knock some chords in!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    I've got an old Shadowfax CD titled "Shadowdance" that is superb for showing off 2 channel performance. If you can find a copy check out track#4.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    gidrah,
    sent ya an email.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited December 2002
    frank, got it, the old shadowfax is better that there new stuff, its a keeper (shadowdance) if you can find it.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    Joe,
    Agreed! #4 & 5 are probably the best on the CD, but I enjoy the whole thing!
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Stubby & Frank - Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Mxsty..... - Sorry buddy. I don't really like Creed. I'm not opposed to that style of music, just that particular band.

ATC - Sorry buddy, no camera. Maybe if the wife gets one for Cristmas. I've posted links to similar versions.

Thanks again guys!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    Mark,

For revealing a good stereo image DMB Crash or some Allison Krause (or Kraus, however you spell it) the song she does on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack is top notch.

Soundstage demo material: Pick up the Telarc Round-Up CD. William Tell Overature and The Magnificent Seven theme.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Thanks Troy. Doe that have the full (13 minute +/-) version of Guilaume Tell? I've been looking for a quality recording of that. Come on stocking.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets (studio work was better than the Crash album IMO)

Tool - Lateralus (I had to throw this one in. HDCD, not your typical rock album - detail and nuance are incredible)

Days Of The New - sefl titled, has a yellowish cover with a tree on it I think?

The original score to the motion picture Batman - Classical, some of Danny Elfman's best IMO
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    I love Elfman and Oingo Boingo. Great suggestions. Thank you!