Looking For A Sub

2»

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    :lol::lol::lol: dont ever try to 'yank my chain' that late at night!!! LOL!

the drink moxie is nasty as everything.....yuck...lol :p
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Ya gotta admit, your 4 page rant was interesting, if nothing else.

I do want to clear up a few things, though.

You asked for the top of the line from each company, and I gave it to you. Yes, that means twin cylinders from SVS. This package, with amp and interconnect, costs about $900 LESS than the M&K MX5000. That's why it's still valid to compare the two.

Power and Drivers:

The M&K MX5000 employs twin 12" long throw woofers and uses 400 watts of clean rms power.

The SVS Ultra package employs twin 12" long throw drivers and uses 1,000 watts of clean rms power.

Equalization:

The SVS Ultra package does not employ (nor does it need) power robbing equalization.

The M&K MX-5000 does use EQ, and by their own admission, this limits maximum output and dynamic range. This switch is defeatable on the M&K unit, but without it the bass roll-off below 30 Hz is more pronounced.

Internal Volume:

The internal volume of the M&K MX5000 is about 7,500 cubic inches (assuming 1.5" thick panels).

The internal volume of the twin SVS package is 15,700 cubic inches.

Venting:

The M&K MX-5000 is a push pull design and is not vented.

The SVS Ultra package utilizes 64 square inches of tuned venting.

Output and Extension:

It is a well known fact that internal volume and venting are the two primary design factors that determine the efficiency, natural tuning point, and maximum output of a subwoofer. That is why the Infinite Baffle design subwoofer can achieve super high efficiencies and super low extension with modest drivers and low power input.

Considering that the SVS Ultra package has over twice the internal volume of the M&K MX-5000, is vented, does not employ power robbing EQ, and can handle more power, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which manufacturer would in all likelihood win a shoot-out - and for a LOT less money to boot.

I don't think it would be a slaughter, but I honestly think when you line-up the two packages and compare the facts, the SVS has physics on its side and would pretty handily beat an MX-5000 in terms of flat FR, deep bass extension, low THD, and sheer SPL.

Keeping an open mind, don't you think that is possible?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2002
    holy cow that boy can type a story!!! Ok i have a psw202 and i like it, But loath a svs sub ok....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    totally agree - got a drill? :lol::lol::lol:
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by faster100
    holy cow that boy can type a story!!! Ok i have a psw202 and i like it, But loath a svs sub ok....

you should hear me and my dad talk about klipsch and polk....LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

ohh yeah, i know the M&K isnt vented, but the bottum driver isnt even in the cabnet....LOL! Which does the low frequencies. It just fires into a wood plate, and then goes down to the floor and goes out the front and back ports. the entire bottum of the M&K is a huge port. atleast thats how i take it
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Ya gotta admit, your 4 page rant was interesting, if nothing else.

LMAO! LMAO! :lol::lol::lol::lol: thats kinda funny! LOL!

I feel like mantis - "I got my quote on"
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    The other thing I wanted to clear up was when I said that the new SVS B4 Plus was equivalent to 4 Ultras (per Tom V - SVS designer), I meant 4 SVS Ultras, not 4 M&K MX-5000 Ultras. I saw you ranted on that, too :-).

The new B4 Plus really is capable of 130 dB at 25 Hz at less than 10% THD - he has measured that in ground plane testing. This new sub IS passive, and will require around 2,000 watts to reach full output potential. That makes sense because the SVS PC+ subs which employ the same TC Sounds dB-12 driver use a 525 watt Indigo BASH amp. 525 x 4 = 2100 watts. The B4 Plus will cost around $2000, and an amp that big will cost a grand, so you are looking at around $3000 for the package.

For the person who doesn't like cylinders and doesn't have room for 4 of them (who the hell does?) the B4 Plus in the box configuration might just be the ticket for the enthusiast with a huge room who needs reference level playback. It's really quite impressive.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Thats the only thing i see wrong with the SVS. They look like a cat scratching post, in which if u have cats. BEWARE. lol!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited December 2002
    All I know is that my HSU sub goes down to 19hz loud & clear and that as far as musicality is concerned, I haven't heard anything better & that goes for the brawny SVS...when I hear bass coming from a car and it shakes the pavement, I just get a headache...

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    When I get my car *Im getting a truck*, Im putting two 15 inch subs in a weather resistant Box in the BED! IM GONNA SHAKE THE EFFIN WORLD!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!

ohh yeah, and one 12 inside in a truck box or whatever. And ill get them all from JL AUDIO - www.jlaudio.com
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC