LSi15 vs RT16 Specs

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited December 2002 in Speakers
So, my current RT16's are 8 ohm with 90db sensitivity whereas the LSi15's are 4ohm with 88db sensitivity. Does that mean that the Parasound amp will run hotter? Which is better 8 or 4 ohm speakers? Which produces cleaner sound?

Thanks!
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    i dont gotta hear ne of them....the lsi will be better.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited December 2002
    so while we're on the topic, RT16's RT12's and a CS350LS would be BLOWN away by a complete LSi series package. LSiFX or another set of LSi15's for surrounds?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Id have to say so. 4 Ohm speakers are usually more accurate. THe LSI's will deffinetely have a better midrange, and a better tweeter than the RT-I lines. But you will need a killer Subwoofer unless you get the towers. In my opinion. I havn't heard either speaker. This is just to my conclusion
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    The Lsi line is really nice.The older rt16's are really nice.The Lsi 15's in my opnion smoke the rt16's dead.I would still own a pair of the rt16's just because I wanted them along time ago.The fact that a speaker is 8 ohm or 4 ohm has nothing to do with it's ability to sound good.You amp can handle the load of the 4 ohm lsi line.8 ohm speakers are better for receivers.4 ohm speakers generally need seperates or very stable 4 ohm load carring receivers.You got questions I got answers.;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    ok, why does the moon turn orange sometimes? I might KNOW! DO YOU?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    Essentially, the lower the ohm rating, the more demand it places on the amp. There is some science to it just bear in mind that the amps in a receiver are generally ill suited to speakers that run less than 8 ohms.

Dan is correct, the ohm rating has zero to do with how a speaker sounds, in and of itself.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn But you will need a killer Subwoofer unless you get the towers.

The LSi15's need a good sub too. At least to me, but I like a lot of bass.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    While I can appreciate your opinion MxStYlEpOlKmAn, I don't understand how you can say that the LSi's are a better speaker if you've never heard them. As you even admitted, you haven't heard EITHER of the speakers that he's asking about.

Perhaps it would help to know what kind of music yoeddy listens to. How much do you use your setup for music vs. movies?

I have a pair of the RT16's and I will NEVER get rid of them. Granted the only LSi's that I've had the chance to listen to were the LSi7's. They were impressive, but for the type of music that I listen to and for the type of sound that I want, the RT line stomps all over the LSi's. Sure they had the detail, but they didn't have the depth that I wanted and the bang that I've gotten accustomed to with my RT16's.

It's all a matter of preference obviously. Everyone's gonna tell eddy to go and listen to see what he thinks. I don't mean to rag on ya MxStYlEpOlKmAn, but if you've heard neither of the speakers being discussed, how can you tell him with certainty that one is better than the other without first finding out what he's using his system for primarily.

Cleaner sound is goign to have just as much to do with your receiver/amp as it has to do with the type of speaker that you want to accomplish what you're looking for.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.