LFE meter/subwoofer

waymond
waymond Posts: 5
I just bought a SPL meter. Should I turn the sub(Polk Audio PSW650) to max volume on the sub itself ? Then adjust the dB on the receiver to level everything out. Or should I set the sub to a lower volume and raise the dB lever if needed on the receiver ?

Thanks In Advance for the help.
Post edited by waymond on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by waymond
    should I set the sub to a lower volume and raise the dB lever if needed on the receiver ?

Thanks In Advance for the help.

Do THAT.

SPL meter perhaps? (vs LFE meter)

Start about halfway or a little less on sub 'gain'. Tweek it from there.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    Russman is right.. start about 11 o'clock on the sub volume on the back of it. then i raise the level using the SPL meter with the receivers sub volume happy, happy, joy, joy!

if you turn the sub all the way up on the rear of the unit. it's going to sound to boomy.. and will be to much bass in most cases.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited December 2002
    The S&V tune-up disc suggests setting your subwoofer level on the receiver to 0db. Then turning up the gain on the sub to the desired setting. 75db is the recomended setting for your speakers. Personally I like running the subs a little hot. Usually 2 to 3 db.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    0 at the receiver is a good starting point. The key is to avoid extremes at either end.

Running too low (-10) will give you a higher S/N ratio, and running too high (+10) will lead to signal compression problems.

Even running a bit on the negative side (say -3) is a good idea. That will give you some room to adjust upwards for certain DVDs that have a "conservatively mastered" LFE channel, while still avoiding signal compression problems.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS