New SL3000-Anyone tried it yet?

stubby
stubby Posts: 723
edited December 2002 in Speakers
After more than ten years of service, one of my tweets finally laid down on me. Has anyone tried the new SL3000 tweeter? I wondered how well it matched (sonically) with the old tri-lam. Luckily, I am able to put the bad tweeter up at the top of my array, where it is not as noticable when I listen.

Stubby
SRS 3.1TL
Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
Anthem AVM2

Post edited by stubby on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    edited December 2002
    stubby,

On my 2.3TL's it's the top tweeter that plays the most. What do you have? I haven't heard the new one yet, but I'd like to know the same as you how it compares.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited December 2002
    I had a couple I had to buy for my 1.2's and sonicly, it seemed to be quite comparable to the originals. I have since sold them to Har and he seemed happy with them.

The only thing that was a detractor was the color of the dome was more of a silver than the original darker chrome visually. Joe
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited December 2002
    F1nut, I have 1.2's. My 'loudest' tweeter is the third down from the top, or the second one from the bottom, your choice!

Thanks for the testimonial, axeman. As long as its similar in appearance, fine with me. I'm more concerned with it's sonic character.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• F1nut
    edited December 2002
    stubby,

Thanks! This makes me wonder, time to call Polk.

And thanks Joe!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• strike
    strike Posts: 5
    edited December 2002
    I need some help in this area. I have recently purchased a pair of sda-srs speakers from an original owner of 1988 models. During a showing of their performance tonight the tweeters shut down. I'm driving them with a yamaha rx-v1 reciever and am aware that these speakers handle serious watts. After leveling off the volume, the tweeters came back to life. The answer should be obvious to me that I need more power to drive these speakers as loud as I was attempting to do. But with a new martin logan depth sub delivering superb low end I found myself reaching for more. Is this indeed the situation? The speakers are performing beautifully now after the shut down. I also discovered, before my I pushed the levels of my reciever, that a tweeter on the left speaker was out. The third one from the top. With 7 out of 8 tweeter's playing I'd be the only one to notice, but thats why I bought these. I love em more each day. Any input from you sda guru's is appreciated.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    strike,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that is indeed the situation, you need more CLEAN high current power. The tweeters have a thermal protection circuit which seems to have worked this time. Seems like it didn't work in the past as you have a blown tweeter. As stubby states, that is the main one. You can do what he did until you order a new SL2000 from Polk. Do you have the interconnect cable? I have the 2.3TL's and feel I have plenty of bass, do you really think you need a sub?

F1nut

BTW, I recommend you go with seperates for power, but don't use mono blocks without the AI-1 interconnect cable.

President of Club Polk

• strike
    strike Posts: 5
    edited December 2002
    F1nut, thank you for the info. I do have the interconnect cable, and I most likely don't "need" a sub with these speakers. But this particular sub matches so well it's euphoric. I guess I will call polk right away about the tweeter. I am not certain but I believe this series of speakers I have is just called sda-srs's. Almost forgot, thank you for the welcome here also F1nut.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    strike,

While you're calling Polk, if you don't have the manual for these monsters, ask them for one. It covers set up and good tech stuff. Be sure to get the right model number because they use different components. Let us know how this works out.

President of Club Polk