Crossover Frequency and connector pins?

mikekell
mikekell Posts: 3
Good afternoon everyone,
I joined Club Polk yesterday having just recently purchased the rm6000 speakers. I am very eager to get started setting them up. However, I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of basic questions for me.

1. I notice that both the receiver (Pioneer vsx-d511) and back of the sub have the ability to set a croosover frequency. Does setting the receiver frequency mean that I do not have to set the bass or vice versa or what? I know this might depend on how I set up the cables (LFE vs. LF & RF to sub) and am curious how that would effect crossover settings.

2. I have Acoustic research gold pins that I could use when installing the speaker cable (16 guage) and want to know if they are indicated for the rm6000 speakers. Now I have read many threads and realize everyone has a valued opinion on the subject. I am just curious if anyone knows what the Polk manufacturer recommendation is.

Thanks in advance for your advice and I am happy to be a new member of the forum!

Mike Keller
Post edited by mikekell on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Welcome to the forum, Mike. What sub comes with the 6000 set-up? Does it have an LFE (unfiltered) input jack?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mikekell
    edited December 2002
    Thanks for replying!

The sub is the basic one that comes with the rm6000 system. Here are the specs:

Subwoofer

Features:

8" front-firing subwoofer
    Amplifier: the subwoofer is powered by a 50-watt RMS amplifier
    Auto On/Off: the Auto on/off circuit automatically turns the subwoofer on when it senses a program signal
    Frequency Response: 45Hz-180Hz

Volume: rotary subwoofer level control
    Low-pass Crossover: continuously variable crossover adjustable from 80-160Hz
    Power Switch: three position switch that allows you to select On, Auto, or Off
    Phase Switch: allows you to select normal or reverse for best bass
    Power LED: the LED glows RED when the unit is off and GREEN when it is on. There is no way to defeat this circuitry.
    Speaker Level Input/Output: spring clip connections for front speaker-level input and output
    Line In: gold-plated RCA stereo preamp-level input
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2002
    With the RM6000 (I shoulda checked first, sorry), you almost have to run a speaker level input. Those satellites are tiny and have no bass output below, probably 120 Hz or so.

Set your mains to large and your sub to no on the receiver and run the wires to the sub and then back to the mains. Set the x-over at the sub at whatever Polk recommends (probably around 120Hz).

Doc

SVS
  • mikekell
    edited December 2002
    Thanks,
    So this means I don't have to set a crossover on the receiver? Simply:

Set SUB to "OFF"

Set Fronts to "LARGE" &

Set SUB freq. @ ~ 150 Hz

Does this sound correct.

Also did anyone know about the Polk recommendation for connector pins and the rm6000 speakers?

Hope everyone has a good week!

Mike
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2002
    Yes, that sounds correct, and I also believe that is what Polk recommends for this system.

I can't offer any advice about the connector pins - sorry.

Doc

SVS