sl2000 and sl2500

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,092
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Looking to complete my "old school" computer/office rig. Just picked up a Luxman R351 receiver and I'm looking at some original monitor Polks; the 5b's with the sl2000 and 5jr+'s series II with the sl2500.

I've owned 5b's before and I'm very familiar with the sl2000 tweet as well as the differences between the 5b and 5jr+ as far as driver compliment etc. My main question is; since I haven't heard the sl2500 in a long, long time is it better than the sl2000?

My plan eventually down the road is to replace with the RDO's, but who knows if I'll ever spend the money once I get this 2nd system set-up, etc. I'd probably feshen up the x-over before I replace the tweets, but who knows if I want to put that kind of cash into these.

I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of bass (5b's w/sl2000) if the 5jr+'s have a slightly better (less harsh) sounding tweeter.

I have very fond memories of my 5b's and even those are going to be too big, so I know the 7's are out of the question for this application. I know some of you people will say get the 7's instead, well they won't do, not enough real estate where the system is going.

H9

P.s. DKG_999, PM me if you might entertain selling your 5b's (i'm watching some on E-bay right now). You should definetly bring those the next time we meet regardless if you sell them to me or keep them. I'd like to hear them again :)
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I've had all three and would rank them as:

RDO tweeter #1
    SL2500 #2
    SL2000 #3
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I change my mind every few months but here's my latest rating. I can't knock the RDO's cause everyone loves them but they're not for me. I've never heard the SL2500's.

SL2000 with 2.2 uf/50v capacitor #1
    SL3000 #2
    RDO tweeter #3
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The SL2500 is alright. But, the replacement Polk tweeter is much better.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited January 2007
    Options
    rskarvan wrote:
    The SL2500 is alright. But, the replacement Polk tweeter is much better.

Thanks, and yes, I know that. But I don't feel like spending $100 right after getting them. I'm only interested in how the sl2000 and sl2500 compare. I know the RDO's are better but at the moment it's not an option I am considering.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Buy my SDA 2A's and they come with the RDO tweeters ;)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Eiderlon
    Eiderlon Posts: 23
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hooray!
    Lexicon Toshiba Crown EAW