I just completed my home theatre basement.

Options
Andre Avigdor
Andre Avigdor Posts: 8
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I just completed my home theatre basement. Here's a list of my speakers, for more photos click on the following link
http://solo2.abac.com/avigdor/newhome/web1024/Page.html
Let me know what you think!

Polk RTi70
Polk CSi40
Polk FXi50
SVS 16-46 X 2
IMG_6979C.jpg
Post edited by Andre Avigdor on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Excellent work and I bet it sounds great.

Is your right fron speaker blocking the door? What if your in the room and someone tries to enter?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Good question... The right front speaker is next to the bathroom door... it does not block it.
    IMG_6686.JPG
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Looks great man...I heard a really cool thing to do with material screens is to put your center up behind the screen so sound seems to eminate more from the movie, or whatever is playing, of course I don't know how thick your screen is, or if it would even work well...Could be a fun tweak to play with...Very similar to my speaker setup....Just added a LsiC to my setup, awsome results, thought the system was just a little flat musically...opened the whole system up...
    Congrats, Enjoy....StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Andre, very nice man. Looks great!

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2002
    Options
    do you get some reflectons off the speakers? also are you going to hide your wires? when i did my theater i ran the wires throgh the walls but i wish i could have gotten a front projector but dident want to spend 10 k are thoes lether couches? that is what i have and i love my couch and loav seat
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    "do you get some reflectons off the speakers?"
    I am not sure what you mean?
    "also are you going to hide your wires?"
    I don't mind seeing the front speaker wires... that way every one can see how much $ I spent on my cabling :) (joke!) All the other wires are well hidden
    "i wish i could have gotten a front projector but dident want to spend 10 k"
    I sold my 53" HD ready Sony rear projection set to get my DLP projector. The project only cost me the equivalent of $2600US plus another $600 for the motorized screen. It's about the same price as a high end larger rear projection set. Watching movies on a 84" screen is entirely different experience :) It's worth every penny. The projector I got is Sharp's new XV-Z90U (see links)
    http://www.guidetohometheater.com/shownews.cgi?1372
    http://www.sharpelectronics.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1004,00.html
    "are thoes lether couches?"
    Yes, they are 3 full size leather sofas... comfortable seating for 9 adults...
    As you can see from the floor plan, I did not have a lot of space to work with (~250 sq/ft) and wanted to make sure I made the most of it.

One of the most impressive things is the 2 SVS 16-46 Subs powered by a 700W pro power amp. There is enough bass that I actually cracked the freshly laid ceramic tiles in the washroom at the front of the room. My wife was not thrilled !
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited December 2002
    Options
    nice work andre,
    you want me to fix your tile im a tile setter.
    and wecome to the polk forum
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    "you want me to fix your tile im a tile setter"
    That sounds like a great idea... do you feel like coming up to Montreal ? :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'll be up for next years F1 race, but I don't know squat about setting tiles. :D

HT looks GREAT!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Andre Avigdor, hey man I like the setup. We picked almost the same color for our rooms.
    MY HOMETHEATER
    Watching movies on a 84" screen is entirely different experience It's worth every penny.
    Ya, many people just don't get it. To me it is the difference between a A/V setup and a hometheater. I went with the Sanyo PLV 60HT. Love it!!! Also if you can try out 6 or 7 channel setup - it is like night and day. Here is a newer front stage pick of mine.
    Hope to here more from ya. The only other guy on here with a FP has not been on here for awhile. Great job on the HT.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Andre,
    OK is that a deadicated room?Dude whats up with all the wire man?The screen looks like a Sharp.Dude did you know that they make triggers so you don't have to mount that switch to raise up and down???
    The Center is on what?looks like a TV stand VCR attachment.The amins look like they could use some tweaking.

I'm also wondering about the sub placement.2 next to each other.Hmmm.

I like the colors dude,nice.The rub as a baseboard looks cool 2.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Mantis...

"OK is that a deadicated room?"
    I sense some sarcasm there :) and the answer is yes...

"Dude whats up with all the wire man?"
    Like I mentioned in one of my earier post the exposed wiring for my mains and center don't really bother me.

"The screen looks like a Sharp"
    It's a Draper Targa Matt White 50x66.5 84" Motorized Projection Screen.

"Dude did you know that they make triggers so you don't have to mount that switch to raise up and down?"
    Yes, I know about the various switching options, they are all 12V switches... eventually I will get around to it.

"The Center is on what?looks like a TV stand VCR attachment."
    Good observation, it's wall mount AV component shelf... it allowed me to mount the speaker at the exact hight I wanted and is almost invisble.

"The amins look like they could use some tweaking."
    I still have not calibrated the system. Because of the limited amount of space at the front of the room (see floor plan to scale) I am not left with many options in terms of speaker placement.
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The invisable man.;)
    So how ya like the projector - How many hours do ya put on it?
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    "The invisable man."
    After all the renovations we just did in the house... it's more like the invisible bank account !

"So how ya like the projector - How many hours do ya put on it?"
    Really happy with the projector, I only got about 100 hours on it. Watching TV is more like an event now. I am a big boxing fan and the couple of fights I have on this system so far have been amazing. It's almost like being in the ring :)

Here are some of my favorite demo scenes for when people come over for the 1st time. I find that most people have had enough of the Matrix and the SW pod racing scene so I am working on some new material :) I got a Sony 300 DVD changer just to make the demo process a little smoother. I found my CDs where starting to take too much place in this changer so I picked a 450 disk Sony CD changer for good measure, now I can switch between 750 disks and never have to get up!

1) Super Speedway (Imax)
    ch. 13 When the car goes around the track... the bass when the car drives under the overpass is what broke my tiles. Another hobby of mine is fast cars and this scene make you feel like you are in the car youself. Check out the car section of my webpage @ WWW.AVIGDOR.NET .
    2) Toy Story 2
    The intro and the 1st scene. For starters animated films tend to really show off what a DLP projector is capable off. Bright and briliant colors with tons of detail. The bass during the intro in space is over the top... serious 15-20hz rumbling followed by when the earth opens in the 1st scene.
    3) Saving Private Ryan
    The Omaha beach scene, on the big screen this is on the border of being too disturbing to watch... not a good idea after dinner either.
    4) Jurasic Park 3
    Lousy movie, but some great effects... my favorite scene is where the 2 dinosaurs are wrestling each other.
    5) The Fast & the Furious
    Most people who are really into seriously powerful cars laugh at this movie. Most of the movie is so silly that it's almost funny, I do however enjoy the final drag race scene followed by the truck crash.

Anyone care to add some favorite demo scenes???
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Glad ya like the projector. 100 hours not even broken in yet. You can do alot of tweaking with them. I'll have to check the specs on yours.
    fter all the renovations we just did in the house... it's more like the invisible bank account !
    Ya - hear that!!!

* Demo *

SW Pod scene the ultimate front projector demo :D
    Here's one nobody mentions Lost In Space
    * the launch scene * the spider scene* the hyperdrive scene ---they are freaking awesome.
  • goingganzo
    edited December 2002
    Options
    danger will danger danger danger love that move but i also watched the old tv series
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    "danger will danger danger danger love that move but i also watched the old tv series"

Say what???
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Say what???
    Will someone please send Andre a Ganzo decoder ring!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Will someone please send Andre a Ganzo decoder ring!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! :lol::lol:
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Looks great Andre. Welcome to the forum.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Options
    "One of the most impressive things is the 2 SVS 16-46 Subs powered by a 700W pro power amp. There is enough bass that I actually cracked the freshly laid ceramic tiles in the washroom at the front of the room. My wife was not thrilled !"

"I'm also wondering about the sub placement.2 next to each other.Hmmm."

Way impressive set-up!!! Welcome to the forum! I assume these are the CS with the "Improved" standard driver and the Samson S700? Do you have the Marchand "Black Box"?

Dan, co-locating the subs (if you have two) is the preferred method.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Scott! I've never seen your set-up either! **** kicking, man - VERY nice! I like the huge center array, and the mondo PSW1200 lurking in the corner. Impressive set-up - very classy.

Doc

SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks Doc - I am very happy with it and broke $$$.
    Scott! I've never seen your set-up either! **** kicking, man - VERY nice! I like the huge center array, and the mondo PSW1200 lurking in the corner. Impressive set-up - very classy.
    Never seen my setup - shame on u!!!!!!!! LOL
  • Andre Avigdor
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks Dr. Spec... I see you are another SVS cult member :) !

"I assume these are the CS with the "Improved" standard driver and the Samson S700? Do you have the Marchand "Black Box"? "

Yup, these are the CS with the improved standard drivers powered by the S700 Samson. I do not have the Marchand box, the S700 is plugged directly into the low level sub out of my Yamaha HTR-5280 reciever. I have the S700 volume control set to 0db and the reciever's sub output level set to -10db, this setting allows the SVS's to blend in well with my Polks. In my 250 sq/ft HT room this combination manages to reach a pretty obscene sound level ... and yes... that's a very good thing!
  • goingganzo
    edited December 2002
    Options
    how do thoes samson amps sound i am thinking of getting the 1000 after christmas for my sub if it ever comes i figure it will come in around christmas
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The Samson are GREAT amps, I would use one in a 2ch rig any-day of the week. My local SVS demo was on two, 20-39CS with a Samson 700. GREAT amps, esp on a sub.

As far as I'm concerned there is *no* equal. Prepare to have your bowels moved, period. I hope to have ONE 20 or 25 in my HT bridged off a Carver m200t in the next 6 months.

I cannot attest to musical accuracy, I have not demoed them that way, but for HT impact and rumble, there is no equal in my book. No Martin Logan, no REL, no Sunfire, nothing I've heard in a *box* design can go toe to toe with the SVS.

I will not even discuss it, as I was sceptical at first, with someone who has not had a demo. That is step 1, and I'd bet a 50 spot you will become a believer in less than 30 seconds.

As far as placement, as mentioned earlier, 6db gain fellas, 2 subs together, SVS recommends it.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    As far as I'm concerned there is *no* equal. Prepare to have your bowels moved, period. I hope to have ONE 20 or 25 in my HT bridged off a Carver m200t in the next 6 months.

I cannot attest to musical accuracy, I have not demoed them that way, but for HT impact and rumble, there is no equal in my book. No Martin Logan, no REL, no Sunfire, nothing I've heard in a *box* design can go toe to toe with the SVS.

I will not even discuss it, as I was sceptical at first, with someone who has not had a demo. That is step 1, and I'd bet a 50 spot you will become a believer in less than 30 seconds.

As far as placement, as mentioned earlier, 6db gain fellas, 2 subs together, SVS recommends it.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Wow! Another convert! Where was your demo?

First let me say up front the Improved standard driver in the CS and PCi series is NO SLOUCH! It is amazing - my buddy has the 25-31PCi and it is very VERY capable. With that said.......

Rooster, if you are space limited, look into a CS+ if you can - the TC Sounds dB-12 driver is amazing, and you get the better endcaps and tunable triple ports. One CS+ = two CS below 30 Hz (i.e., it's a 5-6 dB gain in max output capability). Above 30 Hz, it's more like 3-4 dB up on the CS series.

Also consider that another poster over at HTF was inquiring about the merit of using a Carver amp for a CS+ and for $225 more he opted for the PC+ after several members convinced him. The 525W Indigo BASH amp with 4 position SS filter, auto on, infinitely variable phase control, and inputs galore is a perfect amp for the dB-12 driver. SVS spent thousands of hours on R&D with Indigo to ensure it. The SS filter is a huge factor - because the SVS design is well ported, the driver "unloads" below the tuning point and subsonic signals can send it into overexcursion at high levels. I have my SS filter set to 20 Hz, and I haven't bottomed my PC+ yet, and I've hit 114 dB peaks 11 feet from the sub!

In all honesty, what impresses me as much as the sheer SPL is the accuracy, tonality, and fidelity. It passes on the source material very faithfully. Even at low volumes, it continues to impress. Nuance changes in bass tone and texture are immediately evident and clear.

Recently there are many "audiophiles" who are getting into twin Ultras / CS+ / PC+ and integrating them into some very high end systems. Often they are replacing some damn good names in subs that are known for their musicality and fidelity. And invariably, the end result is the same - the SVS is better for both HT AND music than the sub it replaced. And judging by the length and content of their posts and their equipment lists, these guys seem VERY finicky about bass accuracy, musicality, and seamless integration with the mains, often experimenting with placement, and phase, and x-over for days on end to get just the right sound.

IMHO, the best way to describe SVS' philosophy is to offer performance that is WAY out of proportion to the cost of the product - in other words GREAT VALUE. It's world class bass within the reach of the regular Joe's who still think dropping $800 on a sub is a really big deal and hell yes they expect something pretty darn special for that much coin and lo and behold, SVS delivers in spades.

Doc

SVS